Price Drop! Server Cisco UCS C240-M3S servers, Dell Z9000, and other odds and ends

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 8, 2015
I'm very eager to hear how that plays it for the same reasons ;).
I can post a review or walkthrough of my experience with it if some people would be interested in seeing that. From what I've read on here and a few other places it seems to be a complete mystery to a lot of people. Need to see it myself hahaha. Now I need to order breakout cables... A switch like that should accept any kind of copper DAC breakout right? Or will Cisco even lock something like that down?

May 8, 2015
Bump. Ok this is really the final price drop. Feel free to make offers. Especially on the cisco servers. Looks like I got a new job and have to move back across the country. Don't want to deal with transporting my entire lab.

May 8, 2015
BUMP! Someone make me an offer on this stuff. If it's fair it's yours. Moving in like two weeks and I really don't want to lug all this across the country!

May 8, 2015
Bump for quantity updates. Moving out of my place on Thursday so I'd really like the rest of this gone. Any reasonable and fair offers will be accepted! I also have that UCS Manager Switch that was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll post the model and specs in the main post shortly.

May 8, 2015
Bump. If you're in the Austin area and can deal in cash big discounts available. If not, make me a reasonable offer and its yours. Strapped for time a bit as I'm moving on friday.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Just wanted to give props to rockitlikeithott. I bought one of the servers and, while UPS did an awesome job with the packaging, it may have caused some accidental damage to the power button housing. Rockit was responsive to my emails where we considered filing a claim. In the end, I was able to fix the power button and we decided not to file the claim against UPS. But the constant communication we had convinced me that he stands by his product and word. I would buy from him again.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
What ever happened to the rest of those Cisco servers? I'm at risk of becoming a fanboy after discovering the C-series servers.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
I just picked up a decked out C240-M3S and love it. Missing drive trays and the VIC. Specs? Cost / to ship to East coast??

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
I just picked up a decked out C240-M3S and love it. Missing drive trays and the VIC. Specs? Cost / to ship to East coast??
Dual e5-2670 with 192GB Ram, VIC, no drives or trays. I don't have any box or the padding to ship it; meaning UPS or FedEx are going to charge over $100 just to ship it.

Reactions: Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
This is gorgeous. Fairly similar to what i'm operating with currently. Dual E5-2665 (V1), came with 64GB RAM (but i've got 128GB kit arriving tomorrow) -- the drive trays have been somewhat difficult to procure. The machine came with three (3) 600GB Seagate 10K.5 Savvio SAS disks, plus the two 800GB 12Gbps SAS SSDs i just ordered.

Gosh i'd love to have a second compute host, but hoping it'll take me a minute to outgrow this initial setup. I need to learn a bit more, because i think in order to truly dive into what i wanna learn (VSAN, storage tiering, etc.) it'll take three nodes. It's taken me ~6 months to outgrow my type 2 hypervisor... not enough time in the day.

What would you be looking to get for that (ballpark) without drives? I don't have a VIC, but working on acquiring that for future use.

FYI, this is what i ended up grabbing for trays: 800-35052-01 Cisco UCS C220 C240 C460 M2/M3/M4 SAS/SATA 2.5'' Hard Drive Tray | eBay

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
@rockitlikeithott did you ever get around to putting together a walk-thru of your experience? Haven't had a ton of time to truly dive into this wonderful server, but super curious about anything and everything related to this Cisco hardware...

trying to justify adding a VIC and proper core switch to my little wannabe homelab, but it's been difficult to find relevant/useful information. Not really sure where to even start. Again, my apologies for poking at an ancient thread.