Present vg on host as a local disk to vm in Proxmox?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hi,

I'm not familiar with Proxmox, as I've only done work with bare virsh/libvirt, virt-manager, qemu, etc. on vanilla Linux distros, but I thought I'd give it a shot for a client since Proxmox has a lot of nice features out of the box, and I consider Linux the Grand Poobah of software defined storage. Unfortunately, I'm finding it a little harder to navigate having never had any experience with it before.

The client would like to have a span (or JBOD) of several hard drives for these security recordings. That sounded like a great case for a logical volume to me, so I created a span of 4 SAS drives using pg + lv . In libvirt, I'd simply add the vg dev, e.g /dev/mapper/vg_sas or whatever, as a device for the vm, but I'm not sure how to do that in Proxmox.

I've got a clone of the physical machine they're currently using and have imported a qcow2 for it into a diskless vm using qm importdisk command. Now I'm stuck on how to attach a device from the host, namely my CLI-created vg, as a disk to the vm.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? I am surprised at how much different Proxmox has been from libvirt. I'm not opposed to it, I just wish I knew how to achieve the things I need to do more easily. I don't see anything about it in the Proxmox documentation, only passing through single disks - unfortunately any search regarding lvm immediately brings up oodles of results on datastores, making it hard to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks