Preferred Enterprise Backup Software Solution?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I'd like to see what some of you guys and girls are using for your enterprise backup software, and if you would also like to add what kind of hardware you use that is great too.

Currently I use a HP B6200 and some HP 3PAR's as the hardware and formerly HP now Microfocus Data Protector as the software.

Due to the horrible support and buggy software we are looking to get rid of Data Protector.

Veeam is at the top of my list for replacement but it may be too expensive so I wanted to collect more options/opinions.

My direction for right now is to move us away from specialized backup appliances like the B6200 that cost a lot and limit our capabilities and buy cheaper basic storage and rely on the backup software to handle things like deduplication. We can get 100TB 2U Servers for like $13K that is a fraction of what the B6200 cost and they will be much faster and more modern.

If you have experience or suggestions please do share!

Regards,

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
We use Acronis where I work, you can backup directly to the Acronis Cloud or just locally, Supports application aware (Exchange, SQL, AD).

It does have some quirks like all backup products do.

We use it on a variety of platforms (ours and also clients) ESXI, HyperV, OSX (Client backups and Apple Server) and then just normal servers, ESXI and HyperV run Agentless so backs up at a VM level except for if we need application aware backups.

How Acronis works for local backups (for us anyway how we set it up) is backing up to one specific server/network storage ie \\10.0.0.1\Backup1 and just have all the storage attached to 10.0.0.1 although this does cause more network traffic during a backup though having dedicated storage switches negates this.

Can give a load more info on it if you want, just ask!.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
IBM TSM, current name would be spectrum protect.
Absolutely agree, use disk pools on regular hardware. The software can do the compression.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
are you looking for backups of VMs only? I'm assuming ESXI hosts as well?
We have a lot of VMs but still some Physical machines as well.
ESXi 6.5 currently and two vCenters.

Will be doing mostly standard flat file backups, but also exchange, oracle, linux, etc.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
We use Acronis where I work, you can backup directly to the Acronis Cloud or just locally, Supports application aware (Exchange, SQL, AD).

It does have some quirks like all backup products do.

We use it on a variety of platforms (ours and also clients) ESXI, HyperV, OSX (Client backups and Apple Server) and then just normal servers, ESXI and HyperV run Agentless so backs up at a VM level except for if we need application aware backups.

How Acronis works for local backups (for us anyway how we set it up) is backing up to one specific server/network storage ie \\10.0.0.1\Backup1 and just have all the storage attached to 10.0.0.1 although this does cause more network traffic during a backup though having dedicated storage switches negates this.

Can give a load more info on it if you want, just ask!.
Cool, does it offer source side deduplication or any other good way to keep the storage usage under control?
Data Protector makes you pay extra for there storage catalyst feature, so I just do incremental + object consolidation, but its not a perfect solution and feels clunky.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
What does a lot of Vm's mean? 100? 1,000? 10,000? More?

Depending on the size of the estate look at Rubrik. Not used it but been making big waves. Veeam is always strong. Potentially be prepared to run two, the strategic service to backup 95% of the estate and the legacy for all the old sh&t (or in some cases to provide the strong integration to enterprise DB's like Oracle, AIX etc) Dell and IBM are always at the top of the Gartner chart. All will be reassuringly expensive.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I can't say enough good things about Veeam. There are always things to improve (dealing with VM snapshots after failed backups). Most servers are R730xd's and VRTX's, and backups go to an array of servers with a ton of 3.5" SATA storage.