Preferred 2 socket current Intel Gen based board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Ok,

It's time for me to put a new cluster in the HO (ho, ho, green giant). The primary node need to be dual socket and capable of running the top bin of current Intel procs - (E5 v4, I'm not dealing with the metals until venture cap hits). I'll probably fit it with 512GB ram. Preferably 2 10GbaseT on board with a separate IPMI port.

What are people here liking? I know I'm being lazy asking y'all right now, I'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction before I knuckle down to due diligence.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I got and ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS board and pretty happy with it.
I'm running v3 processors, mostly because it's cheaper and all-core-turbo hack is available.
It can take 16 Dimms, total is 2 gigs I think (Way too much for me).
There's no 10G ports, just 2x 1Gbpe and IPMI port.
Some people reported issues with v4 processors - BIOS update required. But I got v3, and in case I'll get V4 somehow - I can upgarde BIOS later.
And lastly Z10PE-D16 comes with 16 memory slots and 6 full-sized PCI-e slots, while Z10PE-D8 WS comes wiht 8 dimms and 7 slots.

open

Apr 2, 2017
Dell R730, 24 dimm slots, 10Gbase-T available, iDRAC. Be cautious of overpriced drives