predicting RAM values/when cheap again/where cheapest now?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
So i'm slowly narrowing my search for workstation hardware... still looking at a possible buy in around Feb-Mar this year hopefully. (should finally have CASH IN HAND unlike the previous year where I had to disappoint everyone saying I was still just planning :) )

Some part of me feels like I missed the bestest of deals here a year or so back in terms of cpu and ram values - so i'm not sure what to expect now, or where to buy to get the best deal right now, or if waiting will turn up any new price drops. The only mentions I see of the future suggest in 2019 RAM should crater Prices of SSDs and RAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts but will that mean even cheaper than now even on used markets? Will it push down used ECC server RAM too or is it just HPC decommissions and such driving that? Anyone care to speculate when 16gb DDR3 chips or 32gb DDR3 chips could go as low or below 8gb chip cost per gig as well?

I'm thinking i'd like to get a 50 pack of used 8GB DDR3 ECC Registered - i'm assuming/hoping this quantity should get some notable discount over small buys (am I correct?) or/and may even be necessary to buy in that quantity from certain sources. It sounds like this is about the sweet spot for cheapest possible RAM and size, could it still get down to nearly $1/gb or are those days gone? (some people mentioned low prices that i've not been able to find in my own searches) Prices that low make me want to 'future buy' instead of what I need right now.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
8gr ddr3 rdimm @ 1$/gb should not be an issue I would guess. Never can tell how used memory prices willl behave compared to new.

Any suggestions where would you get such memory, or you just know it still shows up now and then? (no I didn't search today on ebay, but I no longer see deals like that turn up for awhile when glancing)

How much of a price difference is there buying single sticks at a time vs packs of 50 (which I assume is how system builders acquire it in the latter for a discount)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You can use ebay search with all the criteria you want and then save it.
Ebay will send you then notifications when items meet that criteria.