PowerEdge R530 dual CPU upgrade issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PSeves

May 24, 2023
I have an R530 that I'm attempting to upgrade the processors on. Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 came in it from the factory. I'm installing Intel Xeon E5-2697A V4 processors. I've update BIOS and all of the device firmware, relevant to my device, available from Dell. When powered up with the new processors, the front display reads "CPU0000 CPU 2 INTERNAL ERROR (IERR). CONTACT SUPPORT". After about a minute the fans go on "high". The first time I was thinking the thing was either about to take flight, or blow up! I've rotated the processors, and get the exact same error (CPU 2). When I put the originals in it starts right up. I've read that it's usually a firmware, or other internal device, issue. I'm clearly missing something here haha Anyone encountered this problem? I upgraded an R420's CPUs the same night, and luckily that one went flawlessly. I'd appreciate any help.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
If I remember correctly the R530 has a somehow strange Memory layout. There is a total of 12 DIMM slots with CPU 1 controlling 8 slots and CPU 2 controlling 4 slots. So how are your DIMMs populated? Do you use all 12 slots or less? If the latter: did you make sure both CPU do at least have 1 DIMM available?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Check if there aren't any bent pins on the socket.
Have you upgraded bios, and idrac before hand to latest?
Can you boot/post with just single cpu?

PSeves

May 24, 2023
Thank you for the responses! mrpasc: There's 256gb total ram in A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B4. 32gb per slot. The configuration works when the original CPUs are in.
CyklonDX: I checked the pins and all looks fine. Both work with the original CPUs. idrac is the one thing that didn't get upgraded, because when I tried to install the firmware upgrades downloaded from Dell Support the install said all updates were incompatible with the system.
RolloZ170: I'll look into that!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Please note: The maximum TDP of a CPU in a Dell PowerEdge R530 when choosing two CPUs is 120W per CPU. Please get in touch if you have any questions.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
idrac is the one thing that didn't get upgraded, because when I tried to install the firmware upgrades downloaded from Dell Support the install said all updates were incompatible with the system.
Please provide your dell tag.
Is this the one you tried?

Sometimes if you are outdated by a lot, you need to download few older ones, apply them, and then go to newer one. The issue sounds like outdated bios/idrac.

(try this path to get up2date - with old cpu's inside)
1685042057704.png

(same goes for bios, you need to get up2date)

PSeves

May 24, 2023
That's a lot of idrac updates! haha This one is on 2.15.10.10. I mounted and ran the server update utility and it jump right to 2.83.xx. I'll run through these update soon and see if it's resolved. Thank you!

RolloZ170, thanks for the TDP insight!

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Make sure you have updated your bios too; you may loose some functionality until both bios and idrac are up to date. For best results i would recommend going with similar/same release date as idrac (and doing same thing as i recommended on idrac - going from older to newer)

1685050881015.png

(2017-2018 bios/idrac should include firmware for v4 CPU's || all e5-2600 v4 series were released on april 2016 - so firmware likely bit late on dell side of things)

I would recommend cranking up the fans on the box once everything works for you, r5X0 series is a hack at best, designed for single socket, and only coming in with 2nd cpu as after thought... in short cooling is subpar; i recommend looking up better heatsinks too. (they are often 2-3 types available - its just hard to pinpoint their dell name as it doesn't really say it anywhere - i would look up r630 heatsinks instead - as they should fit the dells socket mount)

Last edited:

PSeves

May 24, 2023
Thanks for the fan and heatsink tip!

So bios is at 2.16.0 and after running through the idrac updates it's at 2.84.84.84. Diagnostic tests pass and runs like normal. I put the new cpu pair in and no errors. No fans on high. Running a bit louder, but not full throttle. But now I have no video output. Tried front and back ports. Restarted a few times hoping it would finally work. Matrox video card was updated to the newest 4.3.1.4, A00 version during one of the other update runs I did. Windows update has no more updates for the the OS. The chipset was updated. SUU says everything is up to date. It couldn't be a processor, could it? I suppose I'll try one cpu?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
So you have vid out during post? On R630/R730's with windows 2012/2019 i didn't have this issue)

What version of windows are you using?
If something of win10/2019/11/2022 series, try entering safe mode, and remove matrox display driver. (I'm thinking windows installed wrong driver)

Potentially see if new installation of windows fixes the issue.

PSeves

May 24, 2023
It has windows server 2012 r2. But there's no video at all. Nothing from the device makes it to the monitor. With the monitor in standby; I hit the power button, the monitor wakes up for about 3 seconds, black screen, goes back into standby. Restarting the monitor doesn't doing anything. I'm beginning to question just how badly we think we need these cpus lol

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
check with older cpu's but i don't think that was an issue - think the err was updating the video card.
Do you have vid from idrac console? (the console uses ur graphics card, so if it works - then its likely updated vd firmware may have some different requirements for the screen.)

PSeves

May 24, 2023
Nope. I was going to rollback the video update, but tried removing cpu #2 first. I have video and can get to system menu items, but can't fully start the operating system. Could it be power? It has dual 750w psu.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
try rolling back vd update.

Unlikely psu issue. Try new os install;
I have had r630's with such or more power hungry cpu's with dual 750W before.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Nope. I was going to rollback the video update, but tried removing cpu #2 first. I have video and can get to system menu items, but can't fully start the operating system. Could it be power? It has dual 750w psu.
"Lot of good advice above, but there is another important consideration-what power supply(s) do you have installed?
I’ve done the CPU swap in the past and the machine failed to POST. Pull one of the two CPUs and it posts. Swapped the PS with spare higher rated ones and everything worked.
"

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
but tried removing cpu #2 first. I have video and can get to system menu items, but can't fully start the operating system
if possible: try with 2x lower TDP V4, if two don't work but only one gives little life you need CPLD firmware update.
you have to ask Dell, they only provide this if required.

PSeves

May 24, 2023
Thank you both! I'll install os first. If it still fails with two cpu I'll swap for more power.

PSeves

May 24, 2023
Apologies for the delay. We just had a baby. I think I figured out the issue. Well, I didn't, I heard from someone who figured it out. Despite the R530 owner's manual stating "The PowerEdge R530 system supports up to two Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 or E5-2600 v4 product family processors.", it doesn't accept them all. Something about insufficient motherboard power they said. And after ordering two supermicro active cooling heatsinks for the E5-2697As, I learned of the joys of Dell's proprietary cooling fan connectors. I'm fine with soldering, I just don't feel like going through the hassle for this server. After all of this, I'm benching that device and just getting a used supermicro server with the sockets for the CPUs and heatsinks. Thank you for your assistance!