Power efficient 2U NAS chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oh2ftu

Aug 2, 2022
Hi,
I'm looking for something to replace a Qnap TS-463XU-RP as a vm share storage nas.
Required specs:
  1. Power usage same or less (somewhere around 30-40W idle without disks)
  2. 4x3,5" hotswap + 4x2,25"
  3. Redundant power supplies
  4. expansion for 10GE, HBA and one reserved
  5. vPRO/KVM
It always seems to be so, that the redundant power supply requirement throws the power usage out of the window.
I've got spare parts lying around;
  • 4TB SAS HDD's (will probably use two as a a backup mirror)
  • 800GB SAS SSD's (might use two as a faster mirror volume for vm storage)
  • 3,8TB SATA SSD's (Will be using two in mirror + spare)
  • 10G nics
  • HBA's
  • DDR4 ECC
  • E5-2600 v4 cpu's
  • cheap. I can not stress this enough. Needs to be cheap (preferrably free).
I just built a Dell T3620 to use as a replication destination (and network share). It goes for around 40W idling with disks - which is nice.

Any ideas? I've recently converted to a Dell-fanboy from HPE gear.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
I've got a 2U SuperMicro chassis with redundant 550W power supplies, a motherboard with a 6-core Xeon and 64GB of RAM, SATA/SAS backplane, etc. It also has 8 Exos 6TB SAS 7200 RPM drives in it, two 120GB SATA SSDs, and two M.2 NVMe SSDs. At 'idle' (lots of containers/applications running, but not much disk activity) it consumes around 100W, and the vast majority of that is the disks. I don't have a good way to measure power consumption without any disks, unfortunately.

I suspect if you went for a lower-power CPU/motherboard combination and less RAM you could easily hit a 40W idle target without disks in this chassis.