Power distributor for SuperMicro X11SPH-nCTF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

centaur

Jul 2, 2020
Hello guys,

I have these components:
- SuperMicro X11SPH-nCTF
- ES CPU from ebay: Intel Xeon QL1M CPU Processor Gold 6130 ES CPU LGA 3647 16 Core 1.8GHz QL1M.
- Noctua NH-U14S DX-3647
- 4 x 16GB Kingston KTH-PL424S/16G
- Samsung Evo Plus 970 - 500GB
- Fractal Design Define R6

I am considering Power Distributor for this motherboard.

Does anyone have experience with pdb on this mobo?

Also, I would need two power supplies that can fit in my Fract Design, any recommendations on that? I am not yet sure about power I need because I am still considering how many hard disks I am going to use for my mini jbod storage solution.

Final goal is to have one PS on UPS and the other one directly to wall outlet :)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

M.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I dont think this is going to be as simple as you hope.
The chassis is designed for an ATX PSU, so whatever you do it need to fit into that factor or you need to mod accordingly.
You best bet would be to look for ATX PSUs that already have redundancy built in like these

Reactions: centaur

centaur

Jul 2, 2020
I dont think this is going to be as simple as you hope.
The chassis is designed for an ATX PSU, so whatever you do it need to fit into that factor or you need to mod accordingly.
You best bet would be to look for ATX PSUs that already have redundancy built in like these
Thank you very much @Rand__ , that is exactly what I need. :cool:

Based on your suggestion, I also found these power supplies:

Supermicro:

iStar:

Any thoughts on these?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well I guess there are not so many choices, so take your pick based on availability, price, required load capability and energy star rating, based on whatever priority you assign.

I have no experience any of them, my last redundant PSU is 8 years old;)

Reactions: centaur

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Nah, have not been using it for 6 or 7;)
Swapped it out for a regular Platin level ATX one;
stopped running fully redundant individual systems and went with a cluster solution instead.
Too expensive (power costs) to have everything in a dual config ;)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Final goal is to have one PS on UPS and the other one directly to wall outlet :)
I thought about a similar setup (redundant supermicro psus) and decided against it: the power from the outlet could be "dirty" and damage the psus/systems....
Now everthing gets "clean" power from the ups :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Another issue for me was that it makes tracking energy consumption more difficult :)

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
You could also Frankenstein a Power Supply (like I'm currently doing).

Supermicro PT747-4648 + 2 1.6kW Platinum Supplies gives you a cheap (max. 200 bucks), hot swappable, platinum efficiency 1.6kW power supply.
...might be a bit too much for just one CPU, but maybe you'll add GPUs in the future?

I chose the PT747-4648 because it is the only sensible dual-PSU PDB with PCIe power you can buy