Power Connector for chassis to chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Guys

Odd ball request here, but if anyone has done it before, someone here will have!

I am looking to move my SSDs from a 20bay 3.5" hot plug server case into a separate 10 bay 2.5" case - BUT power it from the big case - thus need to carry over 12 and 5V into the new 2.5" case.

Logic here is that the expander/SSD's are relatively low power, and to save energy dont want another PSU burning energy for no reason.

Has anyone got suggestions as to a suitable power connector to use?

Ideally, with a slot bracket, but feel thats unlikely....as I am not that lucky.

I really want to avoid using a 4 pin molex as I can see that low quality connector just being trouble....like the attached images..

Plan B would be some Deltron/RS or other high quality 4MM sockets and plugs (think they are 10A rated), color coded of course....

Plan C? - what about a 4 Pin MIC connector - they are rated to 20A (apparently!).

Any thoughts?

David

Attachments

Last edited:

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Hi Guys - sorry for the late reply.

With current worldly events things have been slow here, but I thought i would report back.

I ended up (yes, yes... wrong decision!) using a three pin mains connector - that is "keyed" so it can only be connected one way, ensuing the 5 and 12 cannot be swapped by accident (ground is in the middle).

plug.jpg
My heart said get another PSU but my wallet resisted that - this way its nice and easy.

Setup another Corsair Commander in the second case to manage the fans/temps to the main case, and all is good.

David

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
Can you post some pictures of the finished product? I'd be curious about your solution, too. It seems silly to have 4x 1100W PSUs and 2x 1400W PSUs running in 3 chassis if I can set it up so that they all get powered from the main one. (Basically 1 ZFS array, 1 72x2.5" JBOD and 1 16x3.5" JBOD)

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Hi - I will try, but its all in a rack with limited rear access. Like you, the main unit power supply is more than man enough to supply all the entities.

In the main case, which has a Corsair modular supply, I soldered some 2.5mm three core mains cable (UK spec) to a Corsair modular cable (to plug directly into the Corsair PSU), tidied up with heat shrink tubing.

At the 2.5" 10 bay case end, I did the reverse, bringing it out to Molex, 6 pin and sata power cables using a cable loom from an old PSU (that has died, but I kept the cable harness). The 2.5" 10 bay case has an expander in it (using a mining slot adapter with a 6pin GPU power input) , a Corsair Commander to manage the fans, and as expected, molex to the backplane.

The main connector is as shown in the earlier post - and has the central pin offset, so you cant swap the power - ie 12v to 5V....
I used the middle pin as ground.

Hope that helps.

David

Reactions: Tha_14