Potential deal on Supermicro 846B chassis with SAS2/920P-SQ/more

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
Since it was brought up my psu's are pws-1k21p-1r. I'm tempted to remove the backplane just in case. It's an EL1 for sure but can't find a model number anywhere on the back side.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kapone

May 23, 2015
Since it was brought up my psu's are pws-1k21p-1r. I'm tempted to remove the backplane just in case. It's an EL1 for sure but can't find a model number anywhere on the back side.

Excellent. Just what we needed. A combination of every single power supply that Supermicro makes, except for what we should have received.

Grrr.....

Will follow up.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I just checked my backplane and its an older model SAS846EL1 - so 2TB max.
I also didnt have both 8087 cables or the 8087-8088 adapter.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Sorry guys, had to take care of some family stuff last night. I WILL fix this.

Please give me the following information for each of you:

- Backplane correct - Yes/No - details of what you received.
- Power supplies correct - Yes/No - details of what you received.
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - Yes/No - details of what you received.
- SFF 8088 bracket - Yes/No - details of what you received.
- All trays/caddies - Yes/No - details of what you received.
- Shipping damage - Yes/No - Please describe, with photos, so I can start the claims process.
- Any other information that you think is pertinent.

My apologies once again for this. It is a total embarrassment for me, as I sold you all this stuff, and I was assured by the seller that all units are identical. Doesn't look like it.

kapone

May 23, 2015
So, 3 of my chassis got delivered today...and this is going from worse to WTF was he thinking...

Chassis #1
- Correct backplane
- Rear 2.5” bays present
- SFF 8088 bracket present
- Inner rails present.
- Incorrect power supplies. Got PWS-1K2P-1R
- Entirely missing the top cover!
- Severe dents on the back. One of the power supplies won’t even come out. One of the top trays in the front won’t come out.

Chassis #2
- Incorrect backplane, SAS1.
- No rear 2.5” bay, CD-ROM installed instead.
- No Inner rails.
- NO power supplies. Both are missing.

Chassis #3
- Incorrect backplane, It has the TQ backplane.
- No rear 2.5” bay.
- No SFF 8088 bracket
- Inner rails present.
- Incorrect power supplies. Got PWS-902-1R
- Severe dents on the front. One of the top trays in the front won’t come out.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
So, 3 of my chassis got delivered today...and this is going from worse to WTF was he thinking...

Chassis #1
- Correct backplane
- Rear 2.5” bays present
- Inner rails present.
- Incorrect power supplies. Got PWS-1K2P-1R
- Severe dents on the back. One of the power supplies won’t even come out. One of the top trays in the front won’t come out.

Chassis #2
- Incorrect backplane, SAS1.
- No rear 2.5” bay, CD-ROM installed instead.
- No Inner rails.
- NO power supplies. Both are missing.

Chassis #3
- Incorrect backplane, It has the TQ backplane.
- No rear 2.5” bay.
- No SFF 8088 bracket
- Inner rails present.
- Incorrect power supplies. Got PWS-902-1R
- Severe dents on the front. One of the top trays in the front won’t come out.
Damn, that's mess up obviously. Hope the claims will be smooth for everyone.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I have yet received mine, will keep you informed once I get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kapone

May 23, 2015
Guys, like I said, I will make this right. This is what I call a royal ^%$# up.

Just have some patience while I sort this out.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Mine came in today. Unfortunately not at all well packaged. This is too heavy a server to put a couple layers of cardboard around and call it a day.

The front right server hand pull is bent and the upper rivet broken off. The back left corner of the case is dented in such that I can’t pull the lower of the two PSU’s out. The upper came out with a struggle. The top is dented a little but does not look critical.

The server has a CDROM in the back and the one of the two PSU’s is not even a platinum. 80 plus gold pws-1k21p-1r. Not SQ platinum unfortunately.

Kapone, I have some pics if that helps...

kapone

May 23, 2015
Mine came in today. Unfortunately not at all well packaged. This is too heavy a server to put a couple layers of cardboard around and call it a day.

The front right server hand pull is bent and the upper rivet broken off. The back left corner of the case is dented in such that I can’t pull the lower of the two PSU’s out. The upper came out with a struggle. The top is dented a little but does not look critical.

The server has a CDROM in the back and the one of the two PSU’s is not even a platinum. 80 plus gold pws-1k21p-1r. Not SQ platinum unfortunately.

Please send the pics to me. Once I have a handle on how many (I suspect all of them) are incorrect, I'll initiate the process to fix this &^%$! up.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I thought liquid8 takes the cake on poor packaging of large chassis. Guess I should count my blessings that I got both my 216 & 836 (Coraid) without shipping damage from them last year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sth

Oct 29, 2015
- Backplane correct -No - SAS846EL1
- Power supplies correct - No - 2 * 902-1R
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - No
- SFF 8088 bracket - No
- All trays/caddies - Yes
- Shipping damage - Yes - damage to rear of case as per previous pictures and slight damage to front right top corer and handle.

kapone

May 23, 2015
@sth - Thanks. Be patient, I need to consolidate the status of all shipments before I start beating up the seller.

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
Sorry got busy with other stuff. Here are my notes

- Backplane correct - sas2el1
- Power supplies correct - dual pws-1k21p-1r.
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - no, DVD drive.
- SFF 8088 bracket - Yes
- Shipping damage - minor, fixed well enough for me. Likely from being stacked and squished when initially shipped.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com

man ... when i first saw this deal posted i couldn't justify it as I don't have a need for another one. this sucks for those going through this fiasco... so sorry...

the handle mention above reminds me of something i've learned since I started acquiring 2nd hand Supermicro servers; always, always ask the seller to unscrew the handles and put the handles and screws in an individual zip lock bag. if there are "inner rails" attached, always remove them for shipping. those things that "protrude" out from the "box" are very likely to get damaged in shipping if the shipper doesn't package it well. always ask them to pack extra foam to cover the rear and front faces of the chassis - i've had my share of bent handles, bent PSU handles, and bent rails. what's worse is that when the rack handles get bent, they often also bend parts of the chassis; this often results in hard drive trays that get jammed, etc.

good luck to you guys and hope it eventually gets resolved...

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
The box was made with pieces of other boxes and was about the same size as the chassis, forming about two layers wrapping about the chassis. Under this was a layer of bubble wrap, the one with the very small bubbles. There was a small layer of foam in front of the drive trays extending up to about the level of the handles.

Unfortunately, you are right about the handle being bent and jamming the trays. The bays were knocked out of alignment and the bottom right trays are jammed. The side rails are attached and bent but I would have needed to buy a new rail set anyway I figured. It didn’t protect the back of the case from getting damaged either though.

My only experience with these is a single prior purchase of a 4U SM server that I was hoping to update with this one. That was bought years ago from TAMS on eBay. It was shipped in a very large box and encased in spray foam filled bags. The box got beat up a little but the server was unharmed.

kapone

May 23, 2015
This was the shittiest packing job I've EVER seen for large, heavy chassis. I've no idea WTH he was thinking. Will resolve it one way or another.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I just had a chance to go through the boxes tonight. Picture in PM. Here are the notes:

Chassis 1
- Backplane correct - No - SAS846EL1
- Power supplies correct - No - 2x PWS-902-1R
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - No - CDROM was received
- SFF 8088 bracket - No
- All trays/caddies - Yes - Front 24, back 0.
- Shipping damage - Yes - Handle broke, back frame bent, top cover does not close

Chassis 2
- Backplane correct - No - SAS846EL1
- Power supplies correct - Back dent, could not remove the PSUs
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - No - Nothing at the back.
- SFF 8088 bracket - No
- All trays/caddies - No - Front 24, back 0.
- Shipping damage - Yes - Back frame bent

Chassis 3
- Backplane correct - Yes
- Power supplies correct - No - Only able to remove 1, PWS-920P-SQ, the other one is stuck in the chassis.
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - Yes
- SFF 8088 bracket - Yes
- Shipping damage - Yes - Handle broke, back frame bent
- This is the closest one I can see to the description in OP.

Chassis 4
- Backplane correct - Yes
- Power supplies correct - No - 1x PWS-1K21P-1R, 1x PWS-902-1R
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - No, sealed back
- SFF 8088 bracket - Yes
- All trays/caddies - No - Front 24, back 0.
- Shipping damage - Yes - Back frame bent

sdfrancis

Jan 23, 2018
Chassis
- Backplane - SAS2 846EL1
- Power supplies - both pws-1k21p-1r
- Rear 2.5" hot swap bays - Nothing at the back.
- SFF 8088 bracket - No
- All trays/caddies - Front 24 (2 latches broken), back 0.
- Shipping damage - Yes