Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I am using the Nanya sold by Natex.us and they worked very well. So far their price is the best for all memory I bought. Their website may not have the 64GB for $85 but it won't hurt to give them a call and ask.
Thank you for your comments

Dave

aquarapid

Apr 20, 2016
I'm pretty sure as long as something is on top to enclose and direct airflow it shouldn't be a problem. I'd definitely prefer to have them though, so please let me know if there's a part number on them :)
I am running mine with a cover (home-made) on top and no ducts, but under stress the rear CPU temp is really high (low 80s Celsius), and the fans are still running slow, although I'm seeing some evidence of CPU throttling (using i7z in Linux). I'm still looking at how to ramp them up in software. As far as I can see, there are no BIOS settings or mobo jumpers to adjust the ramp/speed?

Edit: I should mention this is only with one of the two boards in the chassis on; probably will be worse with both...

Last edited:

tbkdan

May 2, 2016
I am running mine with a cover (home-made) on top and no ducts, but under stress the rear CPU temp is really high (low 80s Celsius), and the fans are still running slow, although I'm seeing some evidence of CPU throttling (using i7z in Linux). I'm still looking at how to ramp them up in software. As far as I can see, there are no BIOS settings or mobo jumpers to adjust the ramp/speed?

Edit: I should mention this is only with one of the two boards in the chassis on; probably will be worse with both...
That's to be expected though... one CPU is directly behind the other for airflow, so the second one will naturally run hotter since its "input air" temp is the "output air" of the first CPU. The shroud does seem to force more air around the CPU heatsinks though, so it might be a bit better for keeping the second temp down.

Anybody have part numbers on those shrouds? :)

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
For anyone looking for basic risers... I also needed a riser to add a graphics card to the quanta nodes. I went with "PCI-E Express 16X 90 Degree Adapter Riser Card For 2U Computer Server Chassis" off of ebay. They were $3.57 each. They are only one slot and are not an exact match in height but still work for what I needed. I also added a Quadro NVS290 graphics card. These are heatsink only cards and are officially supported in Windows10. You can find them on ebay for $40 for 10 cards plus $20 in shipping. So 20 graphics cards cost only $100. these have a dms59 connector so you will need a converter cable if you don't already have one.

For the fans, what I read is the fans are set in the bios to run at the slowest speed to prevent thermal throttling.

Memory- I have tested Samsung M393B1K70DH0-YH9 8GB PC3l-10600r ECC 1.35v, Hynix HMT31GR7BFR4C-H9 PC3-10600R ECC 8GB 1.5v, Gskill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 1.5v, Gskill F3-1600C10-8GAO 1.5v. All work without problems.

If you just need a barebones server, these are great systems.
20160513_113634.jpg 20160513_113709.jpg 20160513_113724.jpg 20160513_113752.jpg

Reactions: WeekendWarrior

ArcyneTheFirst

Jan 22, 2016
My box came in the first configuration, 10gig card no riser. After the thread I emailed the seller esisoinc and they said they would ship me the missing risers. Haven't gotten them yet but thought that I would report that they seemed open to making it right for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Just a follow up for the thread, I received the risers and they work well. (the part # mentioned in another message. e.g. riser with 2x slots.)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

yago

May 18, 2016
I got the $199 version from esioinc and received PCIe risers, disk trays, BIOS battery but no heatsinks and no air shroud.
Does anyone have part numbers for those heatsinks?
Or can I use standard ones like this?

Chris Cooper

Apr 25, 2016
Has anyone tested 16gb memory modules? I have not done it yet but am considering a dual node with (Per node):
- 2 2670 CPUs
- 8 16gb ddr3 reg ecc for 256gb
- pcie riser
- Intel dual port tengb nic 520 da2
- Intel 750 1.2TB ssd
- hp power supply modification

I am thinking this would allow one host to be primary and use Veeam nfr for replication to the second node and automated failover for maintenance. Potentially a drag ate 8TB smr drive connected to the main board for slower large storage.

Any ideas or input would be great.

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
I got the $199 version from esioinc and received PCIe risers, disk trays, BIOS battery but no heatsinks and no air shroud.

Thats terrible, why dont you contact them and ask them to ship you the missing parts?

Chris Cooper

Apr 25, 2016
For my config i mean to say one shelf with both nodes operating. I plan to also use a usb header on the board for the esxi host os, the intel 750 and any sata drives would be storage for vmware guests. And lastly, a great test platform in the garage
Untitled.png

Last edited:

aquarapid

Apr 20, 2016
RE fitting into a standard 19 inch rack:

I have decided to go old-skool and just cut off a few inches of the disk/PSU bay using an angle grinder to reduce the width of the chassis to 17 inches. It is then able to fit into a 4 post 19 inch rack with a full depth shelf. I am planning to stack them 5 high, with a separate rear-mounted short-depth shelf in-between containing the common rail HP power supplies (5 will fit side-by-side on a 1U shelf). I will then route power from each of the PSUs to the power distribution board on each server (taking care to use thick enough wire, since the 12V supply cable length will be up to a couple of feet). It is unfortunate that the HP common rail power supplies are > 3 inches wide, otherwise I could have fit them into the remnants of the right-hand-side bay.

Obviously I will "lose" the disk bays, but there will be enough space left in the right-hand-side bay (about 3 inches) to attach some 2.5 inch SSDs with velcro or double-sided tape. I might also just go for a central iSCSI storage server and toss idea of local disks. BTW, I never realized until I started measuring for this exercise that a 2.5 inch disk is actually 2.75 inches wide...

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
My plan in to put it on a shelf and load it from the side of my 4 post rack. The 19" actual width still fits between the vertical posts just not at the very front and back where the holes are.

tbkdan

May 2, 2016
Has anyone tested 16gb memory modules? I have not done it yet but am considering a dual node with (Per node):
- 2 2670 CPUs
- 8 16gb ddr3 reg ecc for 256gb
- pcie riser
- Intel dual port tengb nic 520 da2
- Intel 750 1.2TB ssd
- hp power supply modification

I am thinking this would allow one host to be primary and use Veeam nfr for replication to the second node and automated failover for maintenance. Potentially a drag ate 8TB smr drive connected to the main board for slower large storage.

Any ideas or input would be great.
If you want to keep a PCIe slot open, you could get a 10Gb card on the mezzanine slot. For the OCP project there's definitely a bunch made by Mellanox, but Intel makes them too.

tbkdan

May 2, 2016
Mine had part number dtafbf03028010130819 rev 3b which doesn't yield any Google results =\

yago

May 18, 2016
Don't know the part numbers, but for the heatsink any LGA2011 compatible ones should work. The Supermicro ones are really well made, look for it.
Thanks, I think the Supermicro SNK-P0047PS should work, or am I missing something?

Thats terrible, why dont you contact them and ask them to ship you the missing parts?
They refuse to ship the missing parts.
But to be fair, they weren't on the picture and not in the description.

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks, I think the Supermicro SNK-P0047PS should work, or am I missing something?

They refuse to ship the missing parts.
But to be fair, they weren't on the picture and not in the description.

I messaged them to confirm and they said yes those are included.

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
My plan in to put it on a shelf and load it from the side of my 4 post rack. The 19" actual width still fits between the vertical posts just not at the very front and back where the holes are.
Great Idea. Measured Mine and same holds true. As long as you have over 24" front to back between the rails it fits, added bonus is we can still mount 19" support equipment like PDU or 10GB switch. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: StammesOpfer

ax206geek

May 11, 2016
My Quanta Windmill and 2x E5-2670 and 64GB memory finally came. But I have 2 problems. Can't seem to get USB booting from either ports. And the fan will go into "Jet Engine" mode and make enough noise to drive me crazy after a few minutes. There's nothing in the BIOS to check temperatures and I cannot boot into any OS to check temperatures!

What could have gone wrong?

LastKookie

Apr 20, 2016
My Quanta Windmill and 2x E5-2670 and 64GB memory finally came. But I have 2 problems. Can't seem to get USB booting from either ports. And the fan will go into "Jet Engine" mode and make enough noise to drive me crazy after a few minutes. There's nothing in the BIOS to check temperatures and I cannot boot into any OS to check temperatures!

What could have gone wrong?
did you have the shroud on? you need it to help with cooling. if you don't just use a card board to cover the top should work as well

ax206geek

May 11, 2016
did you have the shroud on? you need it to help with cooling. if you don't just use a card board to cover the top should work as well
I removed shroud for OS installation temporarily to let the graphics card fit into the pcie slot. Will put it back when OS is installed.