Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ethbro

Apr 20, 2016
Beginner question, sorry to have to ask but would rather be sure where things like power are concerned.

Per dba, NorCalm, polyfractal, et al. (btw, thanks for typing up and sharing information, all!) a standard step-up transformer (e.g. ELC T-X000) works for running these off US household 110/120v.

If I were to wire up 3x of these (6 nodes), what would power cabling look like? To start at the basics, I'm taking one 220-240V outlet from the transformer and ultimately hooking to 3x C14 sockets. Can I just split the cable, or would they interfere with each other? If the later, is this something a simple powerstrip (rated appropriately) would resolve?

As may be apparently, I am not an EE but would rather not torch hardware through my own ineptitude. Any answers greatly appreciated!

Based on polyfractal's power numbers (thread), I'm thinking I'd be looking at something like:

All four nodes running:
  • idle: 232W
  • 64 cores and all fans at max: 1260W / 11 amps
= ~315W / node - 40W / node (downgrade E5 2670s to 2660s) = ~275W / node * 6 = 1650W / 6-node cluster = 15 amps @ 110V (so should have headroom on a dedicated 20 amp circuit)

YetAnotherMinion

Mar 22, 2016
Chicago
Running prime95, and using the ELC-1000 transformer, I see wall draw (measured with kill-a-watt) of around 390W per node with E5-2670.

As for your wiring, you need to hook the power wires up in parallel. Your wall outlets work the same way, each socket is wired in parallel to the supply wire. Wiring up 3 c14 cables in parallel is the same thing electrically as plugging 3 different appliances into a power strip. However cutting your own cables that will handle 15 amps is not the best thing to do if you have little experience with splicing. They make C14 cables in a Y configuration Amazon.com: Tripp Lite Computer Power Extension Cord Y Splitter Cable 10A, 18AWG (IEC-320-C14 to 2x IEC-320-C13) 6-ft.(P004-006-2C13): Electronics

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
Anybody gotten something like a 970/980 to work? Im interested in buying one if it is possible to use one node as a gaming PC.
Unless you hack in an ATX power supply, there is no PCI-E power from the existing power supply. You will not be able to run a graphics card the needs external power.

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
If I were to wire up 3x of these (6 nodes), what would power cabling look like? To start at the basics, I'm taking one 220-240V outlet from the transformer and ultimately hooking to 3x C14 sockets. Can I just split the cable, or would they interfere with each other? If the later, is this something a simple powerstrip (rated appropriately) would resolve?

You can get a 200-240v power distribution unit (power strip) with the correct plug for your needs. I bought one from ebay for $35 rated for 24amps. Each power supply states a draw of 4 amps so I could plug in 6 boxes / 12 nodes. Very easy to use.

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
for everyone looking for technical info....you can find a copy of the "Quanta Rackgo X Series F03A Technical Manual" on manualslib. It is a different version (4 node ) so do not think that everything in the manual is correct, but the bios description looks the same and is helpful to find things like, turbo mode shows up after selecting "custom" for power management.

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
Can anyone help with bios settings? I have supermicro servers that when setting power management to "performance"on e5-2670's it will run all cores at 3Ghz at 100% load and 68 degrees(although super loudly). I have been trying different settings on the Quanta and have gotten 2.7ghz on one cpu and 2.8 on the other. The cpus are running at 95 watts and temps for CPU 0 are 85 deg and CPU 1 are 76 deg. Is there something that can be set in the power management long or short duration or elsewhere to help squeeze more from these cpu's? The supermicro's process 30% faster with the same specs.

YetAnotherMinion

Mar 22, 2016
Chicago
Does anyone know what the strange three prong white connector on the power supply is called? The one where all three pins are in a straight line, the outer two pins profiles are D shaped and the center pin profile is a circle. I received one chassis from eBay that has that connector on both ends of the power cable and I need to find an adaptor to C14.

MWP

Apr 19, 2016
I'm having some issues with installing an OS on several Wiwynn SV7210's. When attempting to install any variety of windows (I've tried 7, 8, 10 so far) I get a "non acpi compliant bios" error message maybe 45 sec into the process which terminates the install. On the other hand, I've installed linux and it works fine. Ideas?

grfxlab

Apr 6, 2016
the brochure for the Wiwynn SV7210 only mentions Centos for a certified OS. I have a Quanta so I can't comment on the issue but it might run if anyone can point you to a bios update, otherwise you could run a windows VM on top of the Linux version you have running.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
the brochure for the Wiwynn SV7210 only mentions Centos for a certified OS. I have a Quanta so I can't comment on the issue but it might run if anyone can point you to a bios update, otherwise you could run a windows VM on top of the Linux version you have running.
NorCalm was able to install Windows 7 on the Wiwynn SV7210 and showed some screen shots.
I have contacted Wiwynn's HQ in Taiwan and spoke with the product manager of the OCP line. Basically this batch was ODM-Direct for Riot Games, and they do not have a bios file that matches the microcode.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
Just found out the seller of Wiwynn SV7210 raised the list price by $50 (now listed as $279). I think there is still wiggle room with BO but not sure how much. This almost made the Quanta a better deal with its continuing support for BIOS files etc.

Reactions: crotaphiticus

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Just found out the seller of Wiwynn SV7210 raised the list price by $50 (now listed as $279). I think there is still wiggle room with BO but not sure how much. This almost made the Quanta a better deal with its continuing support for BIOS files etc.
Ive noted that too, anyone have experience with any sellers of Quanta?

YetAnotherMinion

Mar 22, 2016
Chicago
Has anyone tried connecting one of these open rack boards to a SAS drive using an adapter cable? I saw another thread with a tempting deal on SAS 2TB drives, and my other server take SAS so it would be nice to have all of the same.

Phildesign

Apr 24, 2016
Canada
Progress so far

Day 3 got all components at last.

Got a Wiwynn SV7210 and up and running, one node with 2 x e5-2670s and 32g dd3 ram.
Old radeon 3450 card works ok.
Windows 7 pro, took a day to update.
In my back garage with 220 plugs are present, using teamviewer to virtually connect

Still got warning signs on device manager for device update, looking around for bios update and driver updates.

Thanks for this forum.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I was wondering if these two motherboards are connected to a back-plane of some sort for its power distribution? Could these motherboards be run outside of their chassis?

Phildesign

Apr 24, 2016
Canada
The two motherboards are connected to the fan backplane, if you look back in this thread history some people have taken a Atx psu and adapted the connector to make it work.
The only case I can think of that fit these is the Thermaltake Core X9, I was going to do that but decided on a 2nd system in a tower case ( yet to be built ).

some pics serv0.jpg serv1.jpg serv2.jpg serv3.jpg

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Looking for a solution if at all possible to rack mount these things in a standard 19" rack, as in its current case it is too wide.

On page 21 of the Open Compute Project Intel Motherboard v2.0 it shows the pin out for the motherboard connector.

Last edited:

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
Can anyone help with bios settings? I have supermicro servers that when setting power management to "performance"on e5-2670's it will run all cores at 3Ghz at 100% load and 68 degrees(although super loudly). I have been trying different settings on the Quanta and have gotten 2.7ghz on one cpu and 2.8 on the other. The cpus are running at 95 watts and temps for CPU 0 are 85 deg and CPU 1 are 76 deg. Is there something that can be set in the power management long or short duration or elsewhere to help squeeze more from these cpu's? The supermicro's process 30% faster with the same specs.
Were you able to find the way to set the quanta's bios up to the maximum performance matching your supermicro rig? Please share your solution.

MWP

Apr 19, 2016
Thanks to everyone who replied about my Wiwynn Win 7 issue earlier--finally got windows 7 installed. Not even sure why I was having issues but loading from an official 5 year old windows 7 cd using an "amazon basics" usb cd drive plugged into the inside usb port did the trick.

One more question: has anyone figured out how to disable the staggered boot delay feature on the Wiwynn? With just a few of these, that feature is not really needed. I see some jumpers around the fans on the front of the power interconnect boards. Wonder if those control that?