Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RRB

Feb 5, 2019
Not sure how many Canadian's on here but i have a few Windmill's for sale on eBay with dual 2670's and 64gb ram. Someone could get a deal in the Toronto/Ontario area.

RRB

Feb 5, 2019
Does anyone still have a copy of the NVME boot modified BIOS? Link a few posts up is dead...

iguy

Feb 23, 2017
Does anyone still have a copy of the NVME boot modified BIOS? Link a few posts up is dead...

I've uploaded it here:
BIOS.zip

Please refer to the thread for instructions. Make sure to read it carefully. And just in case, have a EPROM chip writer/reader just in case something goes wrong.

Check out the README file, i've updated it with new instructions. All 3 versions of the ROMs have the NVME driver.

Happy new year!

Reactions: Nhan Nguyen

Scott Williamson

Dec 5, 2017
For anyone who is struggling to use a modern video card / GPU with the wiwynn sv7210 this mod to the VBIOS of the GPU worked for me link

The addresses were a bit different but it worked to change just two bytes as described. Now have VT-d pass-through of the GPU working and boot with a monitor attached.

I have had an issue with video cards mounted in the top slot, one a older Nvidia something 7200 Dell OEM the other is a older don't remember what ATI OEM Dell video card, I found that the Nvidia blue screens on windows 7 install and on Ubuntu 16.04.2 crashes when I try to install the recommended non-free nvidia 304 driver that shows up in synaptic but if I leave the free driver that installs originally it runs fine.

But if I take it out of the top slot and put it in the bottom slot of the riser it works perfectly.

So if any one is having a video card issue try putting it in the lower slot to see if that works, it seemed to work for me.

The ATI if I have it in the top slot the node never boots up at all and no video is displayed.

I'll try the ATI card in the bottom slot next.

I have noticed on the PCI-e riser there are two jumpers, does anyone know what they are for?

One is labled confgen1 and the other is confgen2.

EDIT: Its a Wiwynn server

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Did you try to connect hdd to the other sas headers? Do they work?
There are three mini SAS connectors mid board. The remaining 2 mini SAS connectors as shown in the photo from semidetached are for PCIe x4 expansion (see page 6 of Open_Compute_Project_Intel_Motherboard_v2.0.pdf).

I discussed this previously: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-199-quanta-openrack.6856/page-32#post-167629

There are two headers for SAS connectors on the end of the board near the onboard 1GbE NIC, but I've never seen them populated. The third header (SAS 4-7) requires an additional option ROM to function.

Mehmet

Mar 26, 2016
There are three mini SAS connectors mid board. The remaining 2 mini SAS connectors as shown in the photo from semidetached are for PCIe x4 expansion (see page 6 of Open_Compute_Project_Intel_Motherboard_v2.0.pdf).

I discussed this previously: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-199-quanta-openrack.6856/page-32#post-167629

There are two headers for SAS connectors on the end of the board near the onboard 1GbE NIC, but I've never seen them populated. The third header (SAS 4-7) requires an additional option ROM to function.
I think I did not ask question clearly.

I know that minisas headers in front of motherboard next to ethernet ports are for NTB on PCIe.
I read all your posts about 3 storage ports. I would like to thank you that It was very helpful to me.
As you explained, there are three mini SAS connectors on the mid board. One for SATA ports 2-5 and others for SAS ports 0-3 and 4-7. We know that SATA ports 2-5 are working. Not sure about their bandwidth. I think it is 3Gbps.
According to manual, SAS ports 4-7 need upgrading ROM. But nothing about SAS ports 0-3. We can use them as additional 4 drives, total 10 but you reported that only SATA ports were working. My question was about SAS ports 0-3.
Drives are connected to SATA ports 2-5 at the picture loaded by Semidetach. My question was whether he tried to connect drives to SAS port 0-3, middle socket on the picture.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
I think I did not ask question clearly.

I know that minisas headers in front of motherboard next to ethernet ports are for NTB on PCIe.
I read all your posts about 3 storage ports. I would like to thank you that It was very helpful to me.
As you explained, there are three mini SAS connectors on the mid board. One for SATA ports 2-5 and others for SAS ports 0-3 and 4-7. We know that SATA ports 2-5 are working. Not sure about their bandwidth. I think it is 3Gbps.
According to manual, SAS ports 4-7 need upgrading ROM. But nothing about SAS ports 0-3. We can use them as additional 4 drives, total 10 but you reported that only SATA ports were working. My question was about SAS ports 0-3.
Drives are connected to SATA ports 2-5 at the picture loaded by Semidetach. My question was whether he tried to connect drives to SAS port 0-3, middle socket on the picture.
Sorry, I completely missed your question when you originally asked it.
Unfortunately, no, I never had a chance to test the other connectors. I've since broken down all my units and just have them as bare motherboards packed away somewhere.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Not sure about their bandwidth. I think it is 3Gbps.
You are correct. The 2 SATA ports on the board are 6Gbps, the ports through the Mini-SAS connector are 3Gbps.

But nothing about SAS ports 0-3. We can use them as additional 4 drives, total 10 but you reported that only SATA ports were working. My question was about SAS ports 0-3.
I soldered the headers myself, so possibly I missed some required components, but I have never had the board recognize anything on the other 2 mid-board SAS headers. I assumed they were for PCIe, but your comment makes more sense that the PCIe connections would be at the end of the board.

Nhan Nguyen

Mar 11, 2020
I've uploaded it here:
BIOS.zip

Please refer to the thread for instructions. Make sure to read it carefully. And just in case, have a EPROM chip writer/reader just in case something goes wrong.

Check out the README file, i've updated it with new instructions. All 3 versions of the ROMs have the NVME driver.

Happy new year!
Hi @iguy, thanks for reposting the bios. May I know if it's a latest bios when compared to F03C3A07.
My dual-node Winterfell has bios version of F03_3B08 and F03_3B11 and both support UEFI but sometime hangs at restart, not sure if bios upgrade will fix the issue. Thanks!

Nhan Nguyen

Mar 11, 2020
Phew! Glad I am not the only one with this problem!

My BIOS says: F03_3B08 (dated 3/4/2014)

Where would I find the correct update? If anybody has a direct link I would appreciate it. I tried the Quanta web-site, but it is not clear to me which BIOS update to get.
Hi @kfriis, my node got a error in updating ME, now fan is going crazy. Can you please send me your 3B08 bios? My appreciation in advanced!

Last edited:

Nhan Nguyen

Mar 11, 2020
I have mine fully covered by a box to ensure good airflow. Had it off for many hours, turned it on and it immediately goes into full speed fans (just shy of 17,000RPM) and IPMI doesn't indicate any issues (see below, the CPU0 TjMax is at 90C as soon as I hit power when cold, so I think that is literally just the max it's allowed to be..??). I only have one CPU installed right now, so I'm not sure if that's related. Installing Ubuntu 16.04 via SoL (ttyS4) as I type this (with earmuffs on...) and hoping the OS has some sane fan management or additional info I can glean to figure out what's up. Full BIOS reset (via jumper) brought it down to maybe 50% fan for a few minutes, then it ramped back up to 100%; messing with thermal and power management settings in BIOS also has no impact.

# ipmitool -I lanplus -U USERID -P PASSW0RD -H 192.168.0.91 sdr
Outlet Cntr Temp | 17 degrees C | ok
Inlet Temp | 17 degrees C | ok
PCH Temp | 43 % degrees C | ok
P0 Therm Margin | -50 degrees C | ok
P1 Therm Margin | no reading | ns
P0 DIMM Temp | no reading | ns
P1 DIMM Temp | no reading | ns
HSC0 Input Power | 68 Watts | ok
HSC0 Input Volt | 12.28 Volts | ok
CPU0 Tjmax | 90 degrees C | ok
CPU1 Tjmax | no reading | ns
SYS_Fan0 | 17040 RPM | ok
SYS_Fan1 | 16756 RPM | ok
TSOD SMBus Sts | 0xe8 | ok
CPU Therm Trip | 0x36 | ok
Pwr Thresh Evt | 0xfb | ok
Battery Mon | 0xe1 | ok
SEL Status | 0xb7 | ok
DCMI Watchdog | 0xa6 | ok
Processor Fail | 0x91 | ok
Chassis Pwr Sts | 0x76 | ok
Thermal Limit 1 | Not Readable | ns

Mine also had the internal USB port completely disabled by default.
Hi @tbkdan, thanks for sharing the tips. May I know if ipmi works with Ubuntu Server 16.04.6 or which version of kernel (OS) you are using. Thanks!

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
A little update, on my Wiwynn SV7210 Open Compute servers I installed Ubuntu 20.04 server and it still hangs on reboot.

So you still have to issue this command to fix it:

echo "options mei-me disable_msi=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/mei-me.conf

Same issue going back for years with Ubuntu server.

Reactions: Jaket

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
A little update, on my Wiwynn SV7210 Open Compute servers I installed Ubuntu 20.04 server and it still hangs on reboot.

So you still have to issue this command to fix it:

echo "options mei-me disable_msi=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/mei-me.conf

Same issue going back for years with Ubuntu server.
I remember finding that fix years ago I believe it was. This is the only pain with these systems that's for sure. I believe we still have 50 of these systems a bunch we unracked a week or two ago to free up space in one of our racks.

iguy

Feb 23, 2017
Hi @iguy, thanks for reposting the bios. May I know if it's a latest bios when compared to F03C3A07.
My dual-node Winterfell has bios version of F03_3B08 and F03_3B11 and both support UEFI but sometime hangs at restart, not sure if bios upgrade will fix the issue. Thanks!
Hi there! They are the latest i could find at the time, a year or so ago. I have the B11 with the NVME efi modules for my servers and they are still humming. If you happen to find another a newer bios i'll gladly play around and test it on my spare board.

Nhan Nguyen

Mar 11, 2020
Hi there! They are the latest i could find at the time, a year or so ago. I have the B11 with the NVME efi modules for my servers and they are still humming. If you happen to find another a newer bios i'll gladly play around and test it on my spare board.
I did flash your bios and it works pretty solid NVME runs at full speed. Regarding restarting issue, I think it's because OS not the hardware. Thanks!