Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
When you say "engineers" do you mean Wywinn engineers? What's type of incompatibility is causing the system not boot? Is Wywinn's firmware whitelisting or blacklisting PCIe devices?

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
@voxadam The wywinn sv7210 would not complete the bios boot without throwing an error and failing. The quanta booted just fine with the sas3 card. Wywinn engineer i got in touch with from wywinn direct contact said it was not compatible with newer sas chipset. So quanta boards are the better boards

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
Interesting, did you happen to try booting the machine in pure UEFI mode as well as legacy/CSM/BIOS mode?

I should really get off my butt, clear off some bench space and order myself one Wiwynn and one Quanta board so I can poke and prod them myself. Actually, they'd make great testbeds for me to finally get my hands dirty tweaking the vendor firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: staph

staph

Jun 20, 2017
@jap note this part of the motherboard documentation:

"The OCP Intel motherboard is the first BMC-less platform for cloud computing that provides DCMI 1.5-based out-of-band management using the Intel PCH ME."

Take a look here for info on getting this working:
OpenCompute - Ubuntu Wiki

Which PSU were you using for those measurements? If the included PSU, were you running 208V AC or 48 V DC?
Did you get this working yourself? I'm having an extremely frustrating time even getting BMC to play nice on a Wiwynn Windmill.

Raice

Jul 12, 2017
Guangzhou, China
Hi!

Today I decided to check BIOS version on my recently bought 2-node Quanta Windmill. The result was surprising.

Code:
# dmidecode 3.0
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.7 present.
57 structures occupying 3445 bytes.
Table at 0x000EC0C0.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: AMI
        Version: F03_3B11
        Release Date: 03/09/2015
Code:
Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes

Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Quanta
        Product Name: Winterfell
        Version: To be filled by O.E.M.
        Serial Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
        Asset Tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
        Features:
                Board is a hosting board
                Board is replaceable
        Location In Chassis: Right
        Chassis Handle: 0x0003
        Type: Motherboard
        Contained Object Handles: 0
Bios version is F03_3B11 and platform name not Windmill but Winterfell. How could it be?

Last edited:

billchurch

Dec 15, 2016
Maybe the ups batteries are actually bad and can't take an electrical load? I am assuming you have run a simulated power loss test though. I know my ups runs a load test every couple weeks. Maybe that is what is happening. Ive never had the nodes lose power so it has to be something on the power side. If possible start isolating/ removing things from the power chain and see if it stops happening
So, I figured out what my problem was... Active PFC on a UPS that does a modified sine wave. Whoops! Ended up getting a UPS that provides a pure sine wave and problem solved.

The last time I had a server/hardware connected to a UPS at home was in 2009 and active PFC was just becoming a thing, lol... Not something I had run into. That's what I get for trying to re-purpose old UPSs

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
Hey all, I'm trying to figure out what the mini SAS port looks like on the board and which adapter I should buy for it to run some extra HDD's. any help would be greatly appreciated :)

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Hey all, I'm trying to figure out what the mini SAS port looks like on the board and which adapter I should buy for it to run some extra HDD's. any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Pretty sure it was determined that it does not have a storage controller connected to it. So no extra drives other than the 2 onboard SATA connectors.

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
It's really unfortunate that the Windmill systems available on eBay don't have the SAS controllers populated. If those ports were functional they'd make great home storage arrays.

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
Are these worth it today as well? looking at the pricing for kits off taobao i really get into a shopping mood :D
I love mine. It really depends what you are using it for though. It makes a great workstation. No so greatfor video processing or storage.

horribol

Jul 18, 2016
I want to ask about two things I haven't seen mentioned a lot:

1 - Noise Level. How loud are these when idling / full load? I've read some posts complaining about the fans working at 100% but those were generally when having some kind of problem. Want to know if these are mostly silent or if they get very loud under some load.

2 - Chassis weight. How heavy will one of these servers with both boards weight? They dont look very massive so I'm guessing they weight around 25-30lb?

Thinking of getting one node just for a homelab, but I live in a small apartment and cant really have a very loud server.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
1. These are probably the quietest dual 2011 server you will find at idle they are almost silent and under load they still aren't loud and it helps that they are a lower pitch so the sound they do make is not as annoying.

2. These are thinner metal than the average server and don't have a top or back so they are fairly light I don't have an exact number though.

Just remember these won't run on 120v power so if you don't have 208v-240v power you will need a transformer or a modded power supply.