Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee: Are you booting using legacy/CSM (BIOS compatibility) or pure UEFI?

Legacy.

So I can use Windows 7 to upgrade the bios.

I did not feel like going through the hassle of forcing a windows 7 uefi install.

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
I completely missed that you were installing running Windows 7. That and to tell you the truth it's been quite some time since I undertook a bare metal (non-VM) install of Windows that was for anything more complex than a family type desktop. Actually, now that I think about it wasn't Windows 7 released in 2010 or so? That's half a decade after UEFI was release and Intel had been working on EFI for years before UEFI was even a thing. It's hard to imagine Microsoft actually releasing 7 without better (any?) support for installing on systems UEFI. To be clear, I'm not doubting you, it's just that I'd forgotten how dysfunctional Microsoft was in those days.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Anybody fix the hang on reboot issue with newer Debian's on the Wiwynn servers?

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Yes I posted a fix for this a page or three back I believe.
Code:
echo "options mei-me disable_msi=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/mei-me.conf
Here it is, note they still have to have a manual reboot the first time.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Yes I posted a fix for this a page or three back I believe.
Code:
echo "options mei-me disable_msi=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/mei-me.conf
Here it is, note they still have to have a manual reboot the first time.

Yea I already tried that but it did not work for me on Ubuntu Server 17.04.

From the post a few pages back:
"Not sure which version you're using for it on this test system we tried Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 both had the issues rebooting. Going to try 16.04 shortly along with CentOS if I have time.
After a few hours of looking into the issue this seemed to have fixed it for us on the older versions."

I assumed the fix was for 12.04 and 14.04 not any version newer but I tried it anyway.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The fix worked for Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 for us.
However it does require a manual reboot the first time after doing it and rebooting.
Well I rebooted the server again just for the hell of it, now it works. LOL

Thanks!!

Reactions: balamit

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Can anybody who still has the shipping boxes just quickly measure one of them? Trying to figure out what dimensional weight would be like..

billchurch

Dec 15, 2016
I've had a pair of these (chassis with 2 nodes) for six months. Every so often I hear a loud click and the power drops off and they reboot (staggered, node 1 then node 2). Everything comes back up just fine.

Using a 750W power supply and both nodes have SSD. The 12V power cables don't feel warm to the touch or anything, I don't feel like it's drawing too much power. From the wall my Kill-a-Watt says it ranges from 260W-300W.

It doesn't seem to be at any particular time, and the unit is connected to UPS (nothing else in the house loses power at this time). I also replaced the HP Common Slot Power supply once, thinking that might be the culprit.

Any thoughts? Other than that they've been great.

chiuljnk

Apr 20, 2016
i would like to buy the official risers DAF03TB4C1. Would anyone like to sell me theirs? I need two of them.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I've had a pair of these (chassis with 2 nodes) for six months. Every so often I hear a loud click and the power drops off and they reboot (staggered, node 1 then node 2). Everything comes back up just fine.
Maybe the ups batteries are actually bad and can't take an electrical load? I am assuming you have run a simulated power loss test though. I know my ups runs a load test every couple weeks. Maybe that is what is happening. Ive never had the nodes lose power so it has to be something on the power side. If possible start isolating/ removing things from the power chain and see if it stops happening

chiuljnk

Apr 20, 2016
Thank you. I called The Server Store (MET International) where several months ago I bought the OpenCompute, and Peter and Samuel helped me, and sold me two risers for $15 each + shipping.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Bought a quanta board for 70ish. It will replace a wywinn. Want to see if some addin cards will work with it

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Well it looks like the barebones Quanta Open Compute servers are gone. Plenty of single nodes and plenty with cpu's and ram tho.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Well it looks like the barebones Quanta Open Compute servers are gone. Plenty of single nodes and plenty with cpu's and ram tho.
I'm just going to watch ebay for a while and see if any come back cheap again

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
@Gene, why do you plan to replace your Quanta with a Wywinn? What type of cards are you trying to get working?
A lsi sas9300-8e external card. Wywinn board will not boot with it. Engineers confirmed it to be a no go. Currently have dell lsi 9202-16 4 port ext sas 6gb card that runs hella hot and needs fan. Would love to switch to a sas 12gb card, remove the fan point of failure (fan stops, the drvies eventually unmount/fail until it cools off and remount done) and drop some power usage

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Any ideas why i can't get a quanta board to boot at all? I'm getting the blue power light and no indication of an error on the error led. No bios/video out of a few different video cards trying dvi/vga/hdmi. e5-2670 v1s and two 8gb modules. I've tried the cmos clear jumper and that didn't do a thing. Tried multiple power off's/on and moving memory around. Everything currently on it worked fine with a wywinn board

Edit: appears i had ram in wrong slot. Have to use the 2nd one over from cpu that is white vs the ones closest that are black

Last edited: