Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dippyskoodlez

Jan 8, 2017
Is it possible to run single node with atx power supply ?
I want to build server for nas and 2 or 3 vm.
I plan to bay node without cpus and memory. And use it with single Intel Xeon E5-2650L V2 QS QF6B.
+ LSI MegaRaid
Possible? yes.

Easy? no. Just run a transformer.

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
Possible? yes.

Easy? no. Just run a transformer.
I really don't why you put an expertise on something you obviously haven't even put a smallest effort to look in.

It is doable and how easy it is, depends on your your skills in soldering. Here are the answers on the second page:
Open Compute WindMill v2 Motherboard

You have to rework the cables of the ATX power supply a little - to make sure you have sufficient +12V amps going to the P1/P2 plugs. What you further need is the pinout of ATX power supply, but you can google for this - there is plenty of information over this.

It took me 10 mins of resoldering to put a board to run. If this is not easy, don't know what will be.

Dippyskoodlez

Jan 8, 2017
I really don't why you put an expertise on something you obviously haven't even put a smallest effort to look in.

It took me 10 mins of resoldering to put a board to run. If this is not easy, don't know what will be.
Some of us prefer to avoid fire hazards and have functional power saving controls by using proper connections. I did say it was possible.

Converting it to ATX involves fairly solid electrical knowledge to ensure you don't create a huge ball of death when running a load on this device, as well as ensuring proper cooling on the devices since you will not be using the backplane that provides the originally designed cooling, so you lose PWM fan control as well.

Last edited:

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Forgot if this was talked about or not yet on here, been a few weeks since I did a read over all the pages.
Anyone have these and run into issues with using the reboot command in linux and they not come back online? If so anyone know of a fix for it.

Dippyskoodlez

Jan 8, 2017
Just a PSA, anyone running esxi may run into sata device storage issues, apparently vmware updated the AHCI driver on esxi 6.5 and it may be unstable for these nodes. Both of mine had the same problem (Warning Lost access to volume 583fe5a3-45d215a5-8eb9-00151791b8b6 (SSD01) due to connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in progress and outcome will be reported shortly.)
and this cleared it up:

esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module="vmw_ahci"

Forgot if this was talked about or not yet on here, been a few weeks since I did a read over all the pages.
Anyone have these and run into issues with using the reboot command in linux and they not come back online? If so anyone know of a fix for it.
I've not had this issue running esxi yet, at least. I have had some cold boots not seem to come up, but an extra cycle has always cleared it up.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Yeah my wywinn doesnt reboot correctly with recent debian linux. I have to power it on then off then on with main power switch for it to begin booting. Not a big deal for me since i have months of uptime usually and a huge battery backup

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Yeah my wywinn doesnt reboot correctly with recent debian linux. I have to power it on then off then on with main power switch for it to begin booting. Not a big deal for me since i have months of uptime usually and a huge battery backup
Not sure which version you're using for it on this test system we tried Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 both had the issues rebooting. Going to try 16.04 shortly along with CentOS if I have time.
After a few hours of looking into the issue this seemed to have fixed it for us on the older versions.

Code:
echo "options mei-me disable_msi=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/mei-me.conf
After the first reboot it still required a manual power on, however after that first time it's been able to reboot on it's own each time without issues.
Hopefully this helps some others.

Reactions: Gene

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Hey!

Can anybody help me? Installing Windows 10 gives me ACPI_BIOS_ERROR, can anybody tell me workaround? I have seen screenshots here with Win 10 running.

Cheers!

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Hey!

Can anybody help me? Installing Windows 10 gives me ACPI_BIOS_ERROR, can anybody tell me workaround? I have seen screenshots here with Win 10 running.

Cheers!
Is yours a Wywynn or a Quanta? From earlier posts, only the Quanta with a BIOS update can run Windows 10/Server 2016

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Is yours a Wywynn or a Quanta? From earlier posts, only the Quanta with a BIOS update can run Windows 10/Server 2016
Yes it's Quanta.

And upgrading bios.. Great, how can I upgrade the bios?

I know it's been thrown around here but can't seem to find if they have managed to install Win 10 on systems with new BIOSes, and I'm big noob in this department, how can I update BIOS? I had updated in the past bios for desktop computer and it did almost automatically, here however situation is a bit different...
Can somebody help me with step by step instruction?..

Cheers!

Last edited:

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
Yes it's Quanta.

And upgrading bios.. Great, how can I upgrade the bios?

I know it's been thrown around here but can't seem to find if they have managed to install Win 10 on systems with new BIOSes, and I'm big noob in this department, how can I update BIOS? I had updated in the past bios for desktop computer and it did almost automatically, here however situation is a bit different...
Can somebody help me with step by step instruction?..

Cheers!
DOWNLOAD-QCT

I've installed version A07 on my node, it was working flawlessly.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
DOWNLOAD-QCT

I've installed version A07 on my node, it was working flawlessly.
Rackgo X version F03C3A07? I have exact your bios with a bit older version (F03 3A07 or something while you had F03 3A13)

So this is compatible to mine, right? (Don't want to kill my system :p)

It says this:
ME FW must be updated after BIOS or ME update progress will fail

Couldn't quite understand what ME is, can you tell me? (FW stands for firmware, but ME?)

So basically all I should do is run BIOS_Win64.cmd from my windows installation, when it finishes install ME_Win64.cmd without restarting, right?

Last edited:

some1else

Oct 8, 2016
F03C3A07 is much newer than the one which came with F03 3A13. What i've did is first to update the bios, than updated ME, rebooted and it boot just fine.
Keep in mind that default settings for 3A13 and C3A07 are different, so you have to adjust them.

Linking to support page to rackgox is not my finding, it was mentioned at a previous page.

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
ME FW is the Intel Management Engine firmware which is part of Intel's Active Management Technology and the greater vPro product. It's essentially a little embedded computer that supervises and, well, manages the main system. It allows for fun things like "lights out management", system monitoring (even when the system isn't booted or so much as powered on), out-of-band provisioning and management, as well as a whole slew of other fun and interesting things.

It's a rather worrisome (to some) black box that only Intel and presumably the United States National Security Agency know the full capabilities of. In the words of the Coreboot project:
The management engine is a separate CPU that does various management tasks and needs its own firmware. This firmware exists in a 1.5MB and a 5MB version, where the latter provides the "Intel AMT/vPro" functions (ie. remote access, "anti-theft", ...). Probably signed with an Intel key. It's unlikely that this is ever replaced by something open source. Firmware that runs on an ARC core inside the chipset. It runs entirely out-of-band with the main CPU. It has DMA access to the entire system memory (can also override IOMMU) and can access the networking adapters in a way transparent to the OS (separate MAC and IP).

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
F03C3A07 is much newer than the one which came with F03 3A13. What i've did is first to update the bios, than updated ME, rebooted and it boot just fine.
Keep in mind that default settings for 3A13 and C3A07 are different, so you have to adjust them.

Linking to support page to rackgox is not my finding, it was mentioned at a previous page.
Did it and it was scary as hell :D, system being quite and all and suddenly during ME update fans began rocketing... Curious of what's going on ran CPUz and it gave me BSoET (blue screen of extreme terror): Hardvare failure. Restart button just made screen blank and.. Terror basically, force shutdown - power on and it began working with newer excitment! Installing Win10 at the moment.

For settings - just rearranged boot order and set CPU to performance. Is there anything that's better set differently than defaults?

As it seems despite my boot order it still prefers to boot from network (PXE) and basically doesn't even care about my neither flash drive nor SSD being on the top top the list)
---> Setting to legacy mode solved this.

Last edited:

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
ME FW is the Intel Management Engine firmware which is part of Intel's Active Management Technology and the greater vPro product. It's essentially a little embedded computer that supervises and, well, manages the main system. It allows for fun things like "lights out management", system monitoring (even when the system isn't booted or so much as powered on), out-of-band provisioning and management, as well as a whole slew of other fun and interesting things.

It's a rather worrisome (to some) black box that only Intel and presumably the United States National Security Agency know the full capabilities of. In the words of the Coreboot project:
Oh wow. Basically they have remote control (to some extent), that's extremely dangerous and extremely empowering at the same time!

CPU drops to 1.2 GHz while on idle - wow! Server stuff :D

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Hello everybody!
It's me again :D

I was rendering the other day and wanted to hear that beautiful turbine sound again. Didn't want to interrupt rendering (baking light in game engine, so it's almost non-pausable) so downloaded speedfan, but as I suspected it detected nothing as fans are attached to its own PCB. And to my surprise CPU temperature was 75 C° (not exceeding, I think system tried to maintain temp below 75C°), which is above max. Temps, and fans seem to be almost as quite as on idle.

So my question is - how can I manage fan speeds?

Lurking around bios for an hour didn't result in any success. Manual only talks about what developers should have made, but on actuality there is no fan settings at all! (at least what I have found).
Maybe there are some jumpers?

Cheers!

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Hello everybody!

Hitting 80 degrees Celsius (or 177 F) under load on one of the CPUs and coolers are not showing a sign of worry. Is this normal? Intel notes 73 C as dead end for these CPUs.

What could be wrong?
Couldn't find anything in BIOS that would help this!

And something died. System froze twice in a row(rebut solved for first try), and now doesn't even POST (fans and LEDs power, but nothing else).

Great.

This is result of investigation: C channel memory died, and system was very unstable with second CPU, eventually not being able to boot at all with second CPU, but same CPU works on the second node, so... Node is semi-dead :p

Conclusion - the Reckgo X BIOS has made it loose connection with backplane coolers (no info in FRU Information page in BIOS for example).

Lesson of the day: Don't do drugs kids, especially if you are kids. Don't use BIOS from another product either. But things like drugs are way more serious issue than BIOS. Emailed Quanta for official BIOS, waiting for response.

Last edited: