Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JKlayme

Oct 19, 2016
After contacting Wiwynn tech support, the rep stated that the OCP server only supports linux based system and that they do not provide windows drivers. Although I am aware that some successfully installed win 7 x64 Pro?

Taverner

Nov 21, 2016
Is anyone aware of a seller with postage options to Australia? I'd love to get 3-4 pairs with tray and PSU.

Dhiru

Aug 14, 2016
After contacting Wiwynn tech support, the rep stated that the OCP server only supports linux based system and that they do not provide windows drivers. Although I am aware that some successfully installed win 7 x64 Pro?
Install Linux and boot windows with KVM. Simple.

voxadam

Apr 21, 2016
Portland, Oregon
@JKlayme, while I don't personally own any OCP 'Windmill' systems[1] I can tell you with some certainty that while Windows may not be officially supported by Wiwynn there's nothing about the machines that would get in the way of a Windows install. These fairly typical dual socket LGA2011 based around the Intel C600 chipset.

[1] The 'Windmill' designation includes both Wiwynn SV7210 and the Quanta F03 as well as variants from other OEMs and ODMs such as Penguin Computing.

Heath Albritton

Nov 15, 2016
Just got my one. Ordered one of the Quanta with risers from the seller in Texas. Hadn't read the auction description carefully and was surprised to see they came with a Mellanox CX3 mezzanine card and a CX2 PCIe card.

Kinda want to save the PCIe slots for m2.nvme, though, and still have 2x10GE, so I ordered an x520-da2 mezzanine.

Anyone have a good source of 16GB DIMMs for this? 8GB seem to be pretty easy to come by.

rampage666

Nov 18, 2016
It would be around $500~$650 for the freight cost, to have 4 servers shipped to Australia.
Am trying to check other shipping method

Taverner

Nov 21, 2016
Is there any interest in some custom PCBs to power these from a readily available supply, in a more useful form factor? I'm probably going to get a couple done, as postage on full assemblies is not practical for Australia.

rampage666

Nov 18, 2016
Is there any interest in some custom PCBs to power these from a readily available supply, in a more useful form factor? I'm probably going to get a couple done, as postage on full assemblies is not practical for Australia.
Yes that would be nice. Also where do you live?
I checked a sea freight company can ship those to Australia.
If we buy multiple ones and share the shipping cost, it still could be done.

Taverner

Nov 21, 2016
Yes that would be nice. Also where do you live?
I checked a sea freight company can ship those to Australia.
If we buy multiple ones and share the shipping cost, it still could be done.
It's certainly doable to get them shipped if there's enough in the box and it's a slow service, but I think it's more cost effective to just make a breakout board - I've been able to find some panel mount connectors to suit the motherboards - I've still got to go through the measurements and make sure it actually will fit, but they're made by TE Connectivity under license, so I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Based on what others have done, I think the only pins we really care about are the +12v/GND, the +5V PSU_Ready on B4, and the fan tacho and RPM Sense pins on C1,2,3,4. Is anyone here running one of the motherboards out of the chassis and can confirm?

Reactions: voxadam

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
So i put a lsi 9300-8e sas card in and my wywinn node wouldnt boot past bios. gave a 99 as far as status of bios and stayed there. normally it gives a 92 and continues boot up. had to put back in my 9200-16e
Anyone know what probem with the pci-e card that indicates?

Taverner

Nov 21, 2016
Great find on those connectors @Taverner! I've been planning to build myself a standalone midplane board, these should make my life much simpler.
Let me go one better for you - These guys have stock of the Amphenol FCI connector that should be an exact match, and I've been quoted $4/ea WITH STOCK AVAILABLE. Unfortunately it looked like some of the TE Connectivity parts had some minor spacing differences.

I'll have a PCB design done in a few days when I get some time after work, and a chassis design done a little while after that. I'm planning to have watercooling support for the chassis, as I don't really want a stack of 40mm fans going crazy near me and the Australian summer isn't kind to servers that aren't air conditioned.

Reactions: voxadam

Taverner

Nov 21, 2016
@Taverner is there any chance that the schematics and/or layouts for your board will be available under an open license?
Sure will.

I've got ten of the board to midplane connectors on the way, and I'm designing it around a pair of HP DPS-800GB power supplies, as they offer pretty much everything I want and are easy to adapt. The goal is for the midplane to make the entire thing plug and play - I want to have any jumpers needed etc already in place.

If anyone here has one of the boards nearby, there's a few things I'd love to clarify, as mine aren't here yet.

Firstly, is there any chance someone can grab a high res shot of the area that's supposed to have MiniSAS connectors? I know the Quanta boards aren't fitted with them, but I'm curious if it's just the headers that are missing.

Second, can someone grab me a photo of one of the system fans, and of its connector? Hoping someone can help!

vejmarie

Dec 9, 2016
Sure will.

I've got ten of the board to midplane connectors on the way, and I'm designing it around a pair of HP DPS-800GB power supplies, as they offer pretty much everything I want and are easy to adapt. The goal is for the midplane to make the entire thing plug and play - I want to have any jumpers needed etc already in place.

If anyone here has one of the boards nearby, there's a few things I'd love to clarify, as mine aren't here yet.

Firstly, is there any chance someone can grab a high res shot of the area that's supposed to have MiniSAS connectors? I know the Quanta boards aren't fitted with them, but I'm curious if it's just the headers that are missing.

Second, can someone grab me a photo of one of the system fans, and of its connector? Hoping someone can help!
I got some pictures for you but no way to upload on the forum, either they are too big, or as my latest post has been deleted my account is in a mess. if you can ping me through private mail I can send them to you, or explain me how to upload a 2.4 MB picture inside the forum no issue. There are the place for the header, and we will be testing to add them. The key issue is BIOS support after.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Im running mine on 208v at home. is there a specific reason at a datacenter matters?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Is anyone running these in a datacenter on 220V?
Yup @dba did. From page 8 post 153. He provided a lot of great research and info early on when everyone was trying to figure out if these were useable or not.

Here is a photo of four racks of these OCP servers that we just installed. Idle power per rack is around 28A 208V (4.6A on each leg of two 30A 208V 3-phase feeds) which really isn't bad for 104 Xeon E5 V1 CPUs, two switches, and a router.

BTW: The servers in the distant background belong to Sony and have something to do with the PlayStation. There must be two dozen racks at least- brand unknown.

View attachment 1994