Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
32GB per-node * 52 != 4TB ??

Other than that seems like a deal :D Considering CPU + RAM sold would = that price pretty much.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I second that, Peter is awesome. I get most of my gear from him and he's been willing to work with me on configurations and discounts. Now you are all tempting me as well. If they had QDR and IPMI, I'd do it right away.

Reactions: b3nz0n8

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think there is a theme now. @dba just look at Facebook's a few gen old machines. The Quanta Xeon D packs are your future 4 years from now.

On a more serious note, I think an article would be awesome. I know other versions of the custom FB stuff was not the easiest to work with so I would suggest getting the single node and testing before getting the rack.

Reactions: abstractalgebra

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I think there is a theme now. @dba just look at Facebook's a few gen old machines. The Quanta Xeon D packs are your future 4 years from now.

On a more serious note, I think an article would be awesome. I know other versions of the custom FB stuff was not the easiest to work with so I would suggest getting the single node and testing before getting the rack.
That's me, picking up huge chunks of cast-off hardware at 90% off the original price! I don't feel at all bad about scavenging this level of gear.

Reactions: T_Minus

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I second that, Peter is awesome. I get most of my gear from him and he's been willing to work with me on configurations and discounts. Now you are all tempting me as well. If they had QDR and IPMI, I'd do it right away.
there is a tutorial on how to run ubuntu using SOL -> OpenCompute - Ubuntu Wiki

I think, Windmill (V2) has IPMI. this is reasonable due on no external video-out.

or the simple way is using Serial connection on debug port.

I will wait until they dispose V3...could be on 3-4 years..

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Yeah, I need power control too, not just console. I will keep reading up.
I posted the doc on windmill (v2) design from opencompute site

Honeslty, they do not explain detail in the doc. :(

ex:
how the motherboard power mechanism works since seems not using standard ATX mechanism, Nada in the doc. The doc only tells: this pin for this, that pin for that, :p

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
I posted the doc on windmill (v2) design from opencompute site
Honestly, they do not explain detail in the doc. :(

ex:
how the motherboard power mechanism works since seems not using standard ATX mechanism, Nada in the doc. The doc only tells: this pin for this, that pin for that, :p
Curious since they bundle the power supply why does that matter?

Update: Reseller reports this is 19" rack width.

>Ours are the standard 19"
>
>- pdneiman

Reactions: J Hart

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I just received my test unit yesterday. The chassis is 19" wide overall. Of course a standard "19 inch" rack is just 17 3/4" wide between the rails, so these servers will not fit in a standard rack - not even close.

The non-standard width isn't a problem for me, since if I like them I'm going to buy the servers and their racks, but any home users should know that these are seriously non-standard.

Interestingly, the unit that I received included rigid plastic airflow shields over each motherboard. This is important for tinkering, since it means that you can run a single server without airflow problems - remember that these chassis are open top and normally rely on having a server above it to serve as the lid.

This chassis is seriously quirky in other ways as well. If you are looking at the images from the auction as reference:

1) You can see a short C-14 female power plug sticking out of the far right side. This is the only power cord you get! It's a custom cable that attaches to the power supply inside of the chassis with an odd connector and is routed out the back of the server where it dangles as a C-14 plug. If you pull on that C-14, it will slide out up to about 16". If you need more cable than that then get out your tools.

2) The disks mount in the space to the right that looks like it would contain the power supply. The two 3.5" disks mount with included tool-free sleds that are shockingly minimal, but do include a small amount of rubber dampening.

3) The small cables dangling out the back of the chassis are in fact the disk cables. The disks mount with their connectors sticking out the back of the chassis, and the cables just plug right in. No backplane, no strain relief, no nothing.

4) The 10Gbe mezzanine board is SFP format, not Base-T, and does not include any strain relief. It is very very wiggly.

5) There are plugs on the motherboard for a second disk for each motherboard, but you'll need to wire your own special cables, and you'll need to fabricate some sort of mounting bracket for the drive itself, which better be an SSD for weight and vibration reasons.

Curious since they bundle the power supply why does that matter?

Update: Reseller reports this is 19" rack width.

>Ours are the standard 19"
>
>- pdneiman

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
From looking at the documentation for the power supply, it looks as though all you have to do to turn it on is to just plug it in. http://www.opencompute.org/assets/download/Open_Compute_Project_700W_450W_Power_Supply_v1.0.pdf It starts at a random time between 1-8 seconds after it receives power. The power for this thing is seriously quirky. It is specified for 277Vrms nominal. You are probably thinking ok I know 220V single phase and 208V is 3 phase. Wtf is 277V? 277V is 480V 3 phase using a single phase to neutral. However, they specs do say that it will work with an input of 180-305V. It is expecting one side of that to be neutral and not hot, so I'm not sure exactly what is going to go down when it gets plugged in to either 220V of 208V. The case itself might end up hot.

The specs also show you the type of connector for the power supply side. They can actually be bought.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
From looking at the documentation for the power supply, it looks as though all you have to do to turn it on is to just plug it in. http://www.opencompute.org/assets/download/Open_Compute_Project_700W_450W_Power_Supply_v1.0.pdf It starts at a random time between 1-8 seconds after it receives power.
[snip]
The specs also show you the type of connector for the power supply side. They can actually be bought.
That is a neat solution to staggered startup while also eliminating the power button and its costs. I skimmed through the PowerSupply PDF but it is not clear what connector they use for AC input to the PS. I believe page 35 talks about Tyco part numbers for the cable.

I guess you would use a C14 female cable provided, then plug in a C13 male cable and splice that into an 220v cable (perhaps a dryer cable from lowes for a home install).

Last edited:

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
The part numbers are Tyco Mate-N-Lok p/n 643228-1 for the power supply side and the plug is 350766-1. You also need the pins which are 350218-1 for the AC and 350654-1 for the ground pin. Its on page 35.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I assume the efficiency lost at 220v single phase vs 277v from a 480v leg with a phase converter from a single phase 220v conversion would probably make it a wash to use a phase converter. iirc you lose ~30% to the phase converter.

The heat difference should be minimal but I'd be curious just to "know" kind of thing.