Potential deal: $150 Sandisk CloudSpeed Eco Gen II 1.7TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mentalflower

Jun 24, 2020
I found some quirks about this SSD so I decided to write up a little bit of info i found in this thread being it is one of the only documents I found on it.

apparently it doesn't work with a SATA 2 controller and causes some issues where it goes to 100% disk usage and 0 write and 0 read.

A fix I found for this was to use a hub like device this could be a PCI device or if you are me you use an external SATA and power adapter

1593017221427.png
what i use is similar to this but instead of going to a type c cable it goes right back to a SATA cable to plug into the mother board.

I only can assume it is tricking the SSD to thinking it is actually interfacing with a SATA 3 controller and from there the hub like device just forwards it to the actual controller.

hope this helps anyone that has been having issues or was just looking for some more information on this SSD.

-flower

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
apparently it doesn't work with a SATA 2 controller
Have you tried connecting it to different SATA2 controllers? Could this be a problem with a particular controller, or is this a general SATA2 issue? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking about getting one of these SSDs for an old laptop, but the secondary sata port in it is SATA2. Just wondering whether it'll work or I'll run into the same issues and these are SATA3-only disks.

Reactions: Samir

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
The sale in the 1st post of this thread works again. The seller indicated 1-year seller warranty on its ebay page.

Zoltan

Dec 18, 2019
Anyone got them updated to the latest firmware?

I got two of these and they shipped with ancient ZR03RPA1. I've installed the above linked ZR11 firmware on one of them, but it made it sick :( I think these disks need a special firmware made for the -017T-1HST variant.

Any reccomendation how to revive it? It shows up in linux and windows, but gives a "media error". My guess is the flash is not initialized.

bilson

Oct 5, 2016
I flashed mine with the sandisk utility. It would not go at first. Then I came across a tip on their forums to use the offset option. That allowed the flash to complete. I have not noticed any issues after that.

Zoltan

Dec 18, 2019
I flashed mine with the sandisk utility. It would not go at first. Then I came across a tip on their forums to use the offset option. That allowed the flash to complete. I have not noticed any issues after that.
Are you willing to share the details? Which application, what settings and which firmware file?

Thanks.

Zoltan

Dec 18, 2019
I've tried the windows app as described, but failed miserably, again. Then succeeded with the linux version with a little trick:

./scli update /dev/sdb -p ZR09RPA1_w_boot_BLR-0080_QR.dob -m dnld-wo -l 1
./scli update /dev/sdb -m activate
./scli update /dev/sdb -f -p ZR11RPA1_w_boot_BLR-0080_QR.dob -m dnld-wo
./scli update /dev/sdb -m activate

I found that doing separate download + activate worked well if I've used the older firmware first. Using ZR11PA1 straight from ZR03PA didn't worked.

timothyha

Sep 30, 2020
I'm writing to confirm the offset setting at 256 bytes worked perfectly on Windows. Updated from ZR03RPA1 to ZR11RPA1.
Screenshot 2020-09-30 202102.png

Volanar

Sep 15, 2020
Bought one of these and sadly had to return it, it was failing SMART self-test on POST (and I wasn't going to live with disabling that). I can also confirm that the offset works to update the firmware (made no difference to the SMART failure though).

MrMorden

Oct 20, 2020
Offered $150 ea. for 2, seller counteroffered $164.99 ea., accepted. Dropping them in my FreeNAS system to back the VMs. (No PCIe lanes to speak of since it's a C2750.)

mentalflower

Jun 24, 2020
Have you tried connecting it to different SATA2 controllers? Could this be a problem with a particular controller, or is this a general SATA2 issue? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking about getting one of these SSDs for an old laptop, but the secondary sata port in it is SATA2. Just wondering whether it'll work or I'll run into the same issues and these are SATA3-only disks.
I haven't tried it with other sata 2 controllers

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Bringing this back from the dead… I have another one of these drives I put into an OptiPlex Micro 3080 and cannot get it to update firmware. I tried the offset with 256 and tried (per the release notes) updating to ZH08 and then ZR11 with no luck - drive shows its still on ZR03. Has anyone else overcome this within Windows?

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Bringing this back from the dead… I have another one of these drives I put into an OptiPlex Micro 3080 and cannot get it to update firmware. I tried the offset with 256 and tried (per the release notes) updating to ZH08 and then ZR11 with no luck - drive shows its still on ZR03. Has anyone else overcome this within Windows?
I got one of those drives that refused to take the firmware update under windows, but updated successfully under Linux.