Potential cooling problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I moved my server into a new case and I've realized I can't cool the damn LSI card anymore, because the case has completely different motherboard orientation and I can't have any fan blowing at the heatsink.

It works, but the chip is probably boiling, so I'm not sure whether to leave it be or look for solutions... The fact there's no temperature monitoring doesn't help.

What do you think?
It's the 9207 card I believe.

DSC_0011.JPG

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
Get a little PCI Blower fan and shove it in the second slot from the bottom or install a fan in the bottom of the case (looks like you can)

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Aren't those coolers noisy as hell?

What kind of temperatures are safe for these cards anyway? I guess as long as the card works it's fine, but summer might be a problem.

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
Some of the PCI Blowers can be quiet just get one that isnt 12V molex but a fan header kinda thing, you dont need alot of airflow over the card just a bit to help cool it, I have a 60mm fan in a PCI Bracket just below mine keeping it cool, have seen others use a 40mm fan.

They run alot hotter when data is being moved around, not sure what temps as mine doesnt show them (i have a Dell H200 that's been flashed to a 9211-8i)

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I think the card is idling around 65°C right now I guess (the "stick it in" cooking thermometer shows about 56° on the surface of the heatsink).
I can keep my finger on it for two seconds or so, then it starts to hurt.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Maybe I am getting this all wrong but...
It looks like the bottom of the case has lots of ventilation holes. And even some mounting positions for fans, albeit not in the ideal position for the half-height card. What's preventing you from installing a fan there? It would be facing the card directly.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I guess I could try, but such an overkill for a small heatsink :(
I wonder why they didn't make the heatsink bigger - it would fit just fine. At least I changed the "paste" underneath for something normal.

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
I guess I could try, but such an overkill for a small heatsink :(
I wonder why they didn't make the heatsink bigger - it would fit just fine. At least I changed the "paste" underneath for something normal.
Its designed to be in a server so has airflow and thermal paste change should help, I do that with my cards too, no idea if it really helps but :)