POST Issue with Asrock ROMED8-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ianwood

Oct 13, 2021
Los Angeles
sillygoosemedia.com
STH has been an invaluable source of information as I pull together a TrueNAS setup (150TB) for my small company's media assets. Having purchased all my hardware and assembled it, I am having a problem with getting this thing to boot and hoping someone might have some suggestions as to what to try next. Here is the setup:

ROMED8-2T
BIOS: 3.20 (?)
BMC: P1.10
CPU: AMD EPYC 7252 with Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cooler
5 x Noctua 140mm case fans
4 x 32GB Crucial DDR4-3200 ECC Registered (CT32G4RFD432A)
EVGA 850 T2 PSU
2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB M.2 NVME
2 x Samsung 870 Evo 512GB
6 x WD Ultrastor 18TB
7 x WD Ultrastor 14TB
LSI 9300-8i

The system starts up, fans turn on, and the debug LED flips through a series of codes for about 15 seconds until it stops at "22". It will sit at "22" for about 60 seconds and then turn itself off and then on again, starting the cycle over again. The IMPI does not show any system inventory. The KVM says "No Signal" the whole time. Pressing F2 and DEL during boot does nothing (tried both via KVM and with a USB keyboard). There are no errors in the IPMI. The only logged events are related to the fans.

I've tried booting without the LSI card, without the NVME, without the fans connected. I've tried reseting the BIOS. I've tried two sticks of RAM and then the other two. I've checked the seating of the CPU.

I cannot find any definition of what "22" refers to. There is nothing in the manual. I have found an older read out of Dr. Debug codes that refers to memory but is this still accurate?

I've updated the BIOS via the IPMI (I think... There is nothing in the IPMI that confirms the BIOS version). I cannot update the IMPI firmware via IPMI. Others here have reported a similar issue.

I have an EPYC 7251 as well but haven't tried it yet. I think I need to downgrade the BIOS to do that. EDIT: I don't think the 7251 supports the RAM I have so that's out for testing on the mobo.

CaptureScreen.jpegIMG_2208.jpgvoltages.jpg

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have an EPYC 7251 as well but haven't tried it yet. I think I need to downgrade the BIOS to do that. EDIT: I don't think the 7251 supports the RAM I have so that's out for testing on the mobo.
you are right, BIOS 3.20 supports ROME/Milan only.
why do you think your RAM does not work with the 7251 ?
have you tried only one RAM stick in slot A1 ?
try without any extra
hardware first.
reseat the CPU.

I've updated the BIOS via the IPMI (I think... There is nothing in the IPMI that confirms the BIOS version).
this information is updated by the BIOS if it POST through...

juma

Apr 14, 2021
FWIW I'm using unqualified 3200 MHz RDIMMs with my ROMED8-2T (BIOS 1.30) and 7551p and it works fine (RAM is downclocked to 2666 MHz automatically). It may be worthwhile to try it out.

Reactions: ianwood

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
3200Mt RAM with Jedec profiles even work if the CPU only supports 2133Mt.
the BIOS does the job.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I would have also tried downgrade to run your older, flight-proven CPU.
Did this system ever boot up before?
Also I have almost exactly same case and struggled with airflow initially. Now i have 1 rear fan and 1 on top that are exhaust fans and two in the front that are inlet fans. CPU fan blows air up. It appears your system will be suffering thermal issues if you continue like this even with a different mb/cpu.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Also yes, make sure the motherboard/case standoffs are not shorting anything. You should only have as many standoffs on the case as a number of mounting holes on the MB.

Reactions: RolloZ170

ianwood

Oct 13, 2021
Los Angeles
sillygoosemedia.com
Thanks guys. I assumed the RAM wouldn't work with the 7251 but what you say makes sense and I'll give it a shot. That is assuming the BIOS upgrade/downgrade is working through the IPMI. It did verify and looked like it completed during the upgrade. Hopefully the downgrade does the same. Also will try just one stick of RAM with nothing else attached.

I made sure the extra standoffs were removed before I put it in. I wasn't sure about thermals but do have three inlet fans in front, one exhaust on top and one in the rear. I'll tackle that once I get this beast to boot.

ianwood

Oct 13, 2021
Los Angeles
sillygoosemedia.com
Success. She posted on the 7251 processor after changing to the P1.30 BIOS. RAM seems fine. Though after getting a duff CPU, I think I'll run memtest86 on this setup before I proceed with the install. I'll do the SMART disk tests as well. Any other burn in, stress test recommendations?

CaptureScreen.jpeg

Reactions: juma and tinfoil3d

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
just swap to the ROME and see what happens, BIOS 1.30 supports Naples and Rome.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
bazookapanda.freecluster.eu
How did you get the bios to take?

I am trying to downgrade to p.1.10 or 1.30 to get support for Naples but after the system power cycles I'm still stuck with post code 00

Can you upload the file you used?

Bios is from product webpage

board shipped with bios p3.20 and BMC 1.19.00

~Asrock ROMED8-2T
~ 7551P

heavyarms2112

Feb 11, 2022
They were using a 7251 so Naples, but I don't know if they used a Rome chip to flash the bios.
I'm also trying to use a 7551p Naples chip as well but I don't have a Rome chip to flash it as I cant seem to get the bios to take like others before me could
I don’t think you’d need a chip to flash bios. You can login to BMC and flash the bios as long as you can get into BMC.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
i would try with a new programmed BMC & BIOS chip.
Note: a BIOS flash will not just overwrite the whole chip, some pages must left unchanged in normal update.
if these pages are corrupt, any BIOS flash will not solve the issue.