EU Possible deal: Intel s2600JF LGA 2011 nodes for 25 GBP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

orson

Feb 4, 2013
Hi.

Is there any chance to run this board with standard ATX power supply? From specs it looks like it uses 3 x 6 pin connector with 60 amps. 6 pin gpu connectors?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Frobbit

Feb 6, 2017
It's very likely possible to run with a standard ATX, at a long shot possibly with the 6 pin GPU connectors, or with some simple adapter cable (with a suitable connector and some crimping).

A larger problem is the IPMI which has to be powered at some spot on the board (it's 5V, so once the pin is found you can borrow that from a molex or similar on the ATX power), as well as the PS_ON and power button signals.

It seems the PWR_BTN and PS_ON (?) signals are carried by a riser board (included) at the front of the chassis, and it will probably need some shorting of pins to get powered on.

Edit: The PCIe x16 slots also need a riser, because although they have PCIe mechanical shape, they are apparently wired differently and can fry the card + board if you plug in a PCIe directly. One riser seems to be included if you look at the photograph, but I think the other slot is without riser.

Dibblah

Apr 13, 2017
If you search 't' internet, you will find someone very helpfully saying "oh, yes, you can run these outside a chassis but it's difficult - I'm doing it" but not explaining any further.

This board works fine with 12v, 5v (standby) and 3.3v powered. Fortunately my boards came with the risers and full trays. If you just have the board, you'll need to find somewhere to tap these in. 3.3v may only be required by the riser for the SATA / SAS repeaters.

There is a little wonderful design niggle - the ATX style connectors are NOT the normal pinout, 12v and ground are reversed. If you get the fan / power distribution board, it does work but I've not discovered how to power this board on correctly - power good never comes up and the motherboard complains about it - and will not start up. Fortunately, clip the red wire and power good has a pull up (or down, not looked).

Upgrade to the latest firmware including the FRU update and you can customise the number of and performance of the fans as with most Intel boards. The supplied fans really are little screamers and will run quite balls to the wall when it detects the chassis has 'failed' (or has mysteriously gone missing). There are 3 pairs of 2 fans in the normal configuration. When you do the FRU update, it detects what is connected to the board and stops complaining.

Power button is on the edge connector if you have the riser. It's momentary.

Intel, unlike most others supplies full pinouts in their downloadable PDFs.

These are really, really nice boards IMHO - if you don't need excessive RAM. Standard 2011 square heatsinks. LOM works. Jumpers are a tad annoying to get to (my boards came BIOS password locked). I'll post the pinouts and download links later, although they are quite easy to find. Will also get power consumption details, but these are in-line with other 2011 server boards - it's mostly the chips.

Good luck!

Reactions: legopc

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
Hello

I have purchased this board S2600JF, have been trying to follow the above advise. I have reversed the atx 12v connectors and connected to the motherboard.

I have shorted the ATX psu pins so that it gives 12v on the rails, as well connected the 5vsb to motherboard.

Once I switch on the ATX power supply, I get a stable non-blinking green light. I then short the FP PWR_BTN_N pin 36 (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...rds/server/sb/g31608015_s2600jf_tps_r2_41.pdf)

and then I hear the following beeps 1-5-4-4 which according to the following page means (POST Error Beep Codes for Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Server...) means
Code:
Power control fault  Power good assertion timeout - Power unit sensors report soft power control failure offset.
Finally an amber light which is constant and not blinking and nothing turns up. Any ideas what else to do to get this monster up?

Attachments

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Once upon a time i thought of a solution like this. Then i figured its way worth the 100$ extra to find a deal online. (about your error code: the code means that not all components are connected to the motherboard, this code happens when i put power supplie(s) into the motherboard and nothing else, same for all s2600).

Last edited:
Reactions: tesla100

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
If someone can help, I will simply the solution and put it in the forums as a tutorial for others. The boards are dirt cheap as well as 10-core, 12-core cpus.

Its got to do something with PS_ON or Power good signals. Cannot seem to find them on the board.....i can feel it...i am close...

Dibblah

Apr 13, 2017
It works fine. PS_On connects (momentary) to ground, clip or unclip the red wire running to the fan board (this is the power good line from the hotplug controller on the fan board).

Reactions: Mailkit

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
Dibblah

I dont understand, Can you please elaborate? Also whats the need to use fan board??

I am connecting directly like this
1) S2600JF 6 Pins to 12v with gnd
2) Connect 5v to IPMI header
3) Short pwr btn

Note: I am not using any Intel chassis.

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
It works fine. PS_On connects (momentary) to ground, clip or unclip the red wire running to the fan board (this is the power good line from the hotplug controller on the fan board).
Can you please show a picture of overall connections and how to switch on?

Dibblah

Apr 13, 2017
Can you please show a picture of overall connections and how to switch on?
I use it with the fan board to get the fans connected :)

And because they came as full trays. If you're getting the beep sequence, it is powering on - it just believes the voltage isn't present or high enough at the hotplug power connector. I assume you are putting 12v across that as well (longer pin is negative, if I recall)

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
Dibblah

I am not using the hotplug power connector. I am just putting power directly on the board. Should i also be putting 12v across the fan board? The hotplug power connector is non standard.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
If someone can help, I will simply the solution and put it in the forums as a tutorial for others. The boards are dirt cheap as well as 10-core, 12-core cpus.

Its got to do something with PS_ON or Power good signals. Cannot seem to find them on the board.....i can feel it...i am close...
dirt cheap 10 core and 12 core cpus where?

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
Ebay basically S2600JF around 44 boards I got for like each 70$ (the complete node HNS2600JF which includes fans, heatsinks, bridge board, fan board, chassis) and then 32 nos of Intel Xeon E5-2650LV2 1.7GHz 10-Core (CM8063501287602) Processor SR19Y each 49$.

Essentially after 8-Core i7 gets announced in coming quarters (currently max is 6-cores with 8th gen i7), they are expected to fall even more.

Dibblah

Apr 13, 2017
Dibblah

I am not using the hotplug power connector. I am just putting power directly on the board. Should i also be putting 12v across the fan board? The hotplug power connector is non standard.
Alligator clips are universal - since you have the main power coming from the ATX connectors, they don't need to provide much power.

I have not tried running them without attaching the hotplug board power.