possible bug 18.12w

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
upgraded napp-it free from 18.12q2 to w and SMART no longer generates a table?

if I click getsmartinfo it will scroll current data but does not generate the interactive web table so cant run new tests etc.

also, I had appliance maps from when it was still a trial version of pro, they were wipped out on the update and are now the generic example maps

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
What is the result of menu
Disks > Smartinfo > Get smartvalues?

About maps
Older napp-it detects slots for a disk with a wwn number with the help of sas2/3ircu, a Broadcom tool for lSI controllers. Now newer LSI HBAs are no longer supported with sasircu. Anothe rproblem is that older versions of mtpsas use a different controllernumber per HBA (c0, c1,) while on a currect system the controller number remains the same when you have more than one HBA. This is extremely helpful as you can now move disks around over several HBAs without the pool going offline.

The negative: You must recreate the maps as slot numbers are different. If you have printed out the old map you can still use it. With current napp-it pro you can now easily edit maps

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Ok, I can confirm the missing smart overview in napp-it free when background accelerator is not enabled

fixed in 18.12w2
get smartvalues in menu Disk > Smartinfo > get smartvalues
and show result for one hour as a table in menu Disk > Smartinfo

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
thanks for the fix gea..

you lost me a bit on the sas2ircu stuff.. suffice to say I likely wont be using it on free anyway

any idea when encryption will be supported on the free branch ?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Native ZFS encryption is in Solaris since many years. Napp-it free supports it. Native ZFS encryption is now in OpenIndiana and OmniOS bloody with basic support in napp-it 19.dev.

Encryption will be in next OmniOS stable (Oct/Nov 2019) and most propably backported then to OmniOS 151030 long term stable. I will finally support this in next napp-it pro together with a webbased keyserver.

Basic support for encrypted filesystems with a prompt based lock/unlock for OI/ OmniOS will be in next napp-it free latest end of the year. Until then you must lock/unlock at cli.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
yeah gea .. that is what I was referring to, the new omnios / illumos encryption port

so in free.. the pool needs unlocking on every reboot? and in free, that would be manual through command line?

so for an all in one.. at esxi boot, when napp-it loads and wants to provide an encrypted pool for VMs, the boot process stops until you ssh into the napp-it vm and unlock the pool? just trying to wrap my head around how this is going to work

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If you want to use encryption, you must first create an encrypted filesystem with a key.
After a reboot this filesystem is not available and cannot be mounted unless you enter the key.

The OS boots normally. At the moment you cannot encrypt the bootsystem rpool, only filesystems.

see (a good summary but not fully up to date)
How-To: Using ZFS Encryption at Rest in OpenZFS (ZFS on Linux, ZFS on FreeBSD, ...) - Philipp's Tech Blog

For exact details of how to use the the zfs command, use manpages. At console call
man zfs

Last edited: