Port-wise NIC passthrough - SR-IOV required?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LarsLindstrom

Feb 16, 2019
Hi everyone!

I would like to add a quad port NIC (for instance an i340-T4) to a server and then be able to (direct, no virtual switch or alike) pass through each port or a set of ports to different virtual machines (for instance port 1 and 2 to virtual machine A and port 3 and 4 to virtual machine B).

What is still unclear to me - do I need SR-IOV for that (which means this is not possible with a i340-T4, but requires for instance a i350-T4)?

Thanks, Lars

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Passthru is an "all or nothing" thing. It is the whole PCI-e device that you are passing through, using VT-d supported hardware. I believe what you are proposing will require SR-IOV support, at the hardware level, so NIC, Mainboard, BIOS and etc, must all support the technology :)

LarsLindstrom

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks.

So, passing through a subset of the ports requires SR-IOV, without that just the whole PCIe device must be passed - which means it must be a 350.

Is there any other advantage of using a 350 that justifies almost double the price? Otherwise I might just go with two i340 dual and pass through the whole devices.

tomaash

Oct 11, 2016
Europe, Slovakia
I have HP NC365T, which is quad port i340 (Intel 82580) based, currently in a Dell destop box that is not VT-d capable.
Each port shows with it's own PCI address, so each port can be passed through individually (and I'm almost sure I've done that at some point in the past).

LarsLindstrom

Feb 16, 2019
Neat, so a i340 is sufficient. I could get an IBM 49Y4242 quite cheap - I think such refurbished OEM are fine as well?