Pokemon Go - Unofficial reference

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I finally took the plunge today. Met a dozen people also walking around staring at their phones over the course of the day. Here are my tips for starting out:
  • When you first start, don't take any of the first three. Keep walking away. Find a bike path to start in and just keep going. After running away four times (going to where they aren't in the circles) you get a Pikachu. After three Pikachus you get a medal/ award so starting with one is helpful.
  • You'll quickly want/ need a charging solution. Pokémon Go is a terrible battery drain
  • When you get duplicates, don't worry about evolving as fast as possible. Just sell the lowest CP ones you have. Candy lets you upgrade later.
  • You need to get to level 5. Just keep finding stuff and capturing. Level 5 lets you use Gyms
  • The higher your level the better Pokémon you find. Assume anything pre-level 5 you're going to Transfer.
  • Turn AP off. This gets rid of the camera but makes it easier.
  • Throwing sucks. You need to "throw" the Pokeball to the Pokémon to capture them. It is a pain so just practice.
  • You get balls and eggs early on. Potions (after level 5) all from Pokestops. They are the small features on the map.
  • Go to grocery stores. Lots of traffic there so good hunting grounds.
  • Go to different places to find different Pokémon. If you stay in the same place you'll level slower because you don't get a 500 XP bonus for finding new ones.
  • Use the incubators for eggs. Then you'll need to go 2km, 5km or 10km. Driving doesn't work. Slowly going on a hoverboard does work but it's dangerous.
  • When you walk, keep tapping the screen to keep the app up. Otherwise it turns the screen off and you lose GPS so you won't find Pokémon.
  • Meet people. You'll see people walking around go talk to them. The game is a great conversation starter.
I'm hoping this helps those who haven't started. It's absolutely and completely crazy how many people I've seen out and about playing.

Reactions: Sleyk and Patrick

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
I want the watch so you don't have to deal with keeping the app open

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I am excited that I have a windows phone(no pokemon go). I already have an addiction to my existing games...

Chris

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Could someone give me a brief synopsis of what this game is all about?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So I will say, my wife is a fan. She got me to install it and uses it as an excuse to walk around. Every single time we walk around Mountain View I have struck up a conversation with someone, even around midnight in an otherwise usually quiet neighborhood.

Without the social aspect, really boring really fast.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
So I will say, my wife is a fan. She got me to install it and uses it as an excuse to walk around. Every single time we walk around Mountain View I have struck up a conversation with someone, even around midnight in an otherwise usually quiet neighborhood.

It's safe to walk the streets at midnight? Wow. :eek:

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I finally took the plunge today. Met a dozen people also walking around staring at their phones over the course of the day. Here are my tips for starting out:
  • When you first start, don't take any of the first three. Keep walking away. Find a bike path to start in and just keep going. After running away four times (going to where they aren't in the circles) you get a Pikachu. After three Pikachus you get a medal/ award so starting with one is helpful.
  • You'll quickly want/ need a charging solution. Pokémon Go is a terrible battery drain
  • When you get duplicates, don't worry about evolving as fast as possible. Just sell the lowest CP ones you have. Candy lets you upgrade later.
  • You need to get to level 5. Just keep finding stuff and capturing. Level 5 lets you use Gyms
  • The higher your level the better Pokémon you find. Assume anything pre-level 5 you're going to Transfer.
  • Turn AP off. This gets rid of the camera but makes it easier.
  • Throwing sucks. You need to "throw" the Pokeball to the Pokémon to capture them. It is a pain so just practice.
  • You get balls and eggs early on. Potions (after level 5) all from Pokestops. They are the small features on the map.
  • Go to grocery stores. Lots of traffic there so good hunting grounds.
  • Go to different places to find different Pokémon. If you stay in the same place you'll level slower because you don't get a 500 XP bonus for finding new ones.
  • Use the incubators for eggs. Then you'll need to go 2km, 5km or 10km. Driving doesn't work. Slowly going on a hoverboard does work but it's dangerous.
  • When you walk, keep tapping the screen to keep the app up. Otherwise it turns the screen off and you lose GPS so you won't find Pokémon.
  • Meet people. You'll see people walking around go talk to them. The game is a great conversation starter.
I'm hoping this helps those who haven't started. It's absolutely and completely crazy how many people I've seen out and about playing.
Thank you for your information, I haven't played this game before, but I am really interested in it.;)

Diavuno

I agree 100%!

My buddy talked my girl into installing, then I was installing.

The Vallejo waterfront is MAD with poke' We've been there until 10/11 o clock at night.
3 stops without moving and enough people laying out lures it's nonstop catching.

Benicia is pretty hot too, but past ~8pm you can creep down the street in your car hitting the stops and catching stuff. but slow enough your incubators work.