PoE Patch Panel Issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
Hey all,

Hopefully I can get some insight into an issue I'm chasing down with some new patch panels. I got two 24 port patch panels off of FS.com. These run into an Ubiquit US-48-500W. Patch panel is CAT 6 and the 6' patches are CAT 6. Now here's the issue.

When I plug one of the runs that I have made from CAT 5e I cannot get a connection, PoE or not. If I plug directly into the switch, bypassing the patch panel, everything works. If I use a store bought CAT 5e or CAT 6 cable, it works. Figured it might be because I wired my patch cables differently. Nope, same exact lay out (B).

So I'm stumped. It works directly into the switch, but not through the patch panel. Anything I'm missing?

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
Is it just one port that is not working or all of them? Did you test the port using cable tester?

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
It's any port through the patch panel. I can plug other store bought cables through the same port in the patch and have everything work. It's just as soon as I use the one I made it does not work. All the ports on the switch work as well. Tested that.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
i'd guess your cable is marginal. if you don't have a tester I'd cut off the end and try again, really carefully.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Are the ends you're using have some sort of shield or metal covering? Perhaps its shorting out the pins in the patch panel when you plug them in? Try a different manufacturer of RJ45 jacks.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
i'd guess your cable is marginal. if you don't have a tester I'd cut off the end and try again, really carefully.
Cable tester passed. Like I said, it works when plugged directly into the switch, it's just the patch panel that has issues.

Are the ends you're using have some sort of shield or metal covering? Perhaps its shorting out the pins in the patch panel when you plug them in? Try a different manufacturer of RJ45 jacks.
The jacks ended up being the issue. The problem ended up being the jacks were pretty compact. Plugged into a switch just fine, but ended up being literally a hair too short to function in a patch panel. Time to go cut off all of the jacks and replace them with new ones.

Thank you everyone!

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Cable tester passed. Like I said, it works when plugged directly into the switch, it's just the patch panel that has issues.
There are cable testers and there are cable testers.

The jacks ended up being the issue. The problem ended up being the jacks were pretty compact. Plugged into a switch just fine, but ended up being literally a hair too short to function in a patch panel
Sounds like a marginal cable. :) FWIW, it seems like you're talking about the plug rather than the jack (the jack is the female end). That said, how the heck does someone screw up manufacturing an RJ45 plug?