PoE IP camera that works without "clouds" recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Never installed anything but uvc devices. I want something for outside mount, and just don't know what to look for. Amazon is covered in something that's probably extremely chinese, and it's unknown if that would work without internet.
I want all this video stuff inside my private network that's completely airgapped.
Please suggest what would work please, I've never bought IP cameras before. It's also very cold outdoors(-30-40 C air temperature in winter). Yes I know something like FLIR would work just fine, but it's kinda way out of budget.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
I would go with Axis/Bosch/Hanwha if your budget allows.. Flir low end is just rebranded.. high end is their own..

If budget is low.. look at some of the "Brand Name" Chinese offerings... HikVision, Dahuah etc..

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The vast majority of IP cameras are meant to be viewed locally. Just avoid ones that are obviously cloud centric (Nest, Ring, etc).

The above mentioned brands should get you started. You'll then need to decide on form factor (dome, bullet, etc), resolution, and any other features you might want. Worth mentioning that most cameras will operate at low temperatures. -40C isn't the most common (can require an integrated heater), but it definitely won't be an issue with the right model.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I’ve had really good luck with both Hickvision and Dahua cameras. Quality is good (not excellent, but good) and they seem to last.

Two cautions:

- I don’t trust them not to be vulnerable to hacks, backdoors, etc. I put them up on a separate subnet with their own firewall and completely block all ports and connections except the ones I need/want. They can’t access or be accessed by the Internet directly.

- The ones listed on Amazon are usually grey-market imports. The “official” USA versions get jacked-up pricing. Both HickVision and Dahua have implemented boot loader checks that will brick your camera if you load the “official” USA firmware on a Chinese/international version device. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: Brian Puccio

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Dahua 2MP Starlight with Sony StarVis sensors, from EmpireTech Andy. More pixels is not always better; wider FOV is not always better. Plan sight lines and choke points, and realistic DORI distances. Yes, put them on a separate VLAN without Internet access. They are generally rated down to -40C without heater; heated models often require PoE+. ipcamtalk for more info.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
My Unifi cameras I use local only, and while not thattttttt cold do get snowed on every winter :)

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Thank you for suggestions guys, will look into that. Thanks @PigLover for the tips. I knew hik has lot of security hiccups, but who doesn't. IoT says it all. Good news is it's gonna be on private airgapped or somewhat secured vpn so obviously they won't get hacked or won't be able to call home.

Aug 17, 2021
We have a few (six) cheap Chinese cameras from Amazon that have been fine. I believe ours are sv3c and anpviz brand PoE IP cameras. They are an absolute disaster on the network: They send garbage flying around everywhere (multicast, ET-phone-home, igmp, etc.) but they are fine isolated and on a decent switch. We have ours on a Cisco SG300-10MPP and nothing but the cameras, zoneminder (our NVR) and one (very locked down) uplink to the main house network/mothership.

The PoE part is awesome. It's really nice to not have to worry about powering the cameras with a wall-wart plug. Personally I'd avoid anything wireless.

Reactions: tinfoil3d