PMS 4.0...PMS 5.0...PMS 6.0...No PMS 7.0! Plex/Storage server upgrade [PICS]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Hi @Ixian @IamSpartacus ,

I am using the same Node 804, and soon, I'll be receiving my Supermicro X10SRM-TF, with 32 GB. Got it off eBay from this good seller, with Dynatron fan (at least in the pic) for USD 325. No processor. I see your recommendations for Xeon E5-2660 v3 and E5-2680 v3. Might go for the 10 core 2660 instead. I also have all drives populated on the drive cage side. I want to clarify what you mean by push/ pull setup? Which two fans up top are you pertaining to? I want to make sure that I'm also using the same push/ pull setup you mentioned here. On the motherboard side, I have it pretty tight. Current motherboard X9SCM-F, I have a Palit GTX 1070 Jetstream there (2.5 PCIe slots) and a Dell Perc H310 HBA installed. I also have 2 3.5" drives on the motherboard side floor. I have about less than a cm between the GPU and the 3.5 HDDs.

I'd like to seek advice on the push/pull setup you mentioned.
I had push pull on both the motherboad and drive side of the case. So I had an intake fan blowing on the drives and then an exhaust fan to pull air out behind the drives. Same thing on the motherboard side. In fact I think I had two intake fans on the motherboard side and one exhaust.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just realized I never posted an update since I upgrade my server to an EPYC 7320p. Just figured I do this for historical purposes. Nothing much to say other than since implementing HW Transcoding I realized I have less need for CPU cores and I was after less power usage/heat being that I pay $0.25 per kwH by me and my server sits in a closet.

Reactions: cesmith9999

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@IamSpartacus is that a vanilla 1660 for HW transcode or are you modding it? Or is that middle PCIe card a Quadro or something?
Vanilla 1660. Using a patch to unlock unlimited streams. You'll see earlier in this thread I was able to get 18 simultaneous transcodes in Plex and 27 in Emby.