PM863 and SM863 experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

We are going to start selling SSD enterprise servers. In the past we used Micron Sata SSDs but I'm not happy with their write performance endurance.

Does anyone here have real world experience with either the Samsung enterprise SSD SM863 or PM863? We are nervous to move forward with these drives unless the endurance is for real and not some marketing crap.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Use the pm863 240gb extensively as boot disks.
Can’t in that role say anything other than no failures. Boring stuff really.

Used from as small as 240gb upto 3.84tb pm863’s in regular tending to more read intensive data roles and can say the performance is solid, none have ever got near ‘worn’ in the time in use (as mentioned for regular use and not cache disks or dedicated heavy write like DB logs it’s very hard to wear them out)

Only competition from Samsung in that days space is as you know micron but Intel (Sandisk eco is also reasonably popular on read intensive but thats really what they seem good for).

For reasons unknown and not expected we have had more intel failures than Samsung but still very small numbers and all protected by hardware raid so no downtime.

SATA still has a place, nice low power, some big drive sizes, but only as bulk storage these days, read intensive. For performance NVMe is simply the only way forward at not much more cost.

*no experience at all with the SM863 but I assume it’s just longer lasting and better performing under heavier write.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
hp branded sm863's last forever! Run them in raid-5 behind a p440ar controller and they are mighty fast and reliable in a 8-drive 480gb/ea setup. Been rocking some for over a year with over 386,000 days life remaining! Solid!

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I picked up an HP branded one from eBay, any known issues with running it in a regular Windows PC? Anyway to update firmware? Or even check for an update?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I picked up an HP branded one from eBay, any known issues with running it in a regular Windows PC? Anyway to update firmware? Or even check for an update?
Only easy way to update is put in a HP servers.
They run fine on a regular PC