PM863 1.92TB drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I did try $500/ drive on two drives and got auto-declined.

Reactions: Aestr

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I did try $500/ drive on two drives and got auto-declined.
Wait, they have auto-decline? As in you instantly get declined? I've never seen that on an OBO. Nor have I ever seen auto acceptance either. Somehow mine always go into the 48 hour holding area.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yes you can set auto approval limits and auto rejection limits as a seller with the OBO feature.

David

Dec 31, 2015
These SSDs are supposedly intended for mostly read applications, while the SM series is more mixed use. When Samsung says that, they are speaking from an Enterprise point-of-view. But if one were to use the PM series in a personal computer (perhaps in a RAID0 setup) for applications that are write intensive (for example, big files used in video editing or 3d content creation), how would these SSDs do compared to Samsung's 850 Pro line in terms of reliability, consistency, endurance, etc. (ignoring the fact that enterprise drives are available in larger capacities).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
These SSDs are supposedly intended for mostly read applications, while the SM series is more mixed use. When Samsung says that, they are speaking from an Enterprise point-of-view. But if one were to use the PM series in a personal computer (perhaps in a RAID0 setup) for applications that are write intensive (for example, big files used in video editing or 3d content creation), how would these SSDs do compared to Samsung's 850 Pro line in terms of reliability, consistency, endurance, etc. (ignoring the fact that enterprise drives are available in larger capacities).
Desktop usage it will not matter from a write endurance perspective. The big benefit will be from PLP.

2.8PB of write endurance is a lot more than most people will use.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I wonder how different the nand really is than the consumer drives, having seen tests require pb level writes to kill small 840 pro drives I imagine it's mostly validation/features(such as plp) compared to consumer drives, after all why bother with more than 150tb worth of testing considering the scale of consumer and even some prosumer workloads(i write an average of 10tb/year on an it support workstation that runs several vms ect.)

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I wonder how different the nand really is than the consumer drives, having seen tests require pb level writes to kill small 840 pro drives I imagine it's mostly validation/features(such as plp) compared to consumer drives, after all why bother with more than 150tb worth of testing considering the scale of consumer and even some prosumer workloads(i write an average of 10tb/year on an it support workstation that runs several vms ect.)
I'd bet it's the exact same stuff. They set the TBW much lower than it's capable of for the consumer stuff to keep the enterprise people away from it by voiding the warranty when it's exceeded.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA