Plextor SSDs w/ Supermicro Boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
So.... this is a really annoying problem. Curious if anyone else has run into it yet, but I'm about to give up and just sell the Plextor drives.

Basically I have 2 Supermicro based servers. The first is a X10SRI-F w/ E5-1650v4 into which I installed a PX-256M8PeY from Plextor. Originally it booted up.... once.... since they the machine hangs at the bios OOB Device Sync-up... and never does anything else. I can't even get into the BIOS setup. I removed the Plextor card and it works again.

The second is a X10SDV-TLN4F-O w/ D-1541 into which I installed a PX-256M8PeG. A similar problem occurred. It booted once or twice... but then as soon as I installed the OS it stopped booting again. This machine however seems to get through the BIOS, but the screen goes blank and then it reboots. Like the computer above it won't even enter the BIOS Setup. I have tried resetting the CMOS, etc. If I remove the Plextor card like magic it works again.

Plextor support said they have issues with Supermicro, but they don't know why. Supermicro said it isn't supported and it doesn't work but they don't know why?

Any ideas? Or should I just sell these things and move on?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Toshiba or Samsung (OEM versions not consumer) drives w/ SM boards.

Consumer stuff with SM ends badly.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Also any suggestions for PCIe AIC cards?.... The E5 based board doesn't have a M.2 slot.... Or what is the best way to add NVME to that box?