Plexinator v1 -

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
20 inches

Once I have the SAS3 card I can complete the build. I got this case because everything is standard based. Nothing propitiatory, so I can live with it a long time.
Oh man, that's exactly the depth I'm looking for if and when I ever outgrow my Node 804. I can't get more than 20". Just wish some vendor sold that bare case.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Oh man, that's exactly the depth I'm looking for if and when I ever outgrow my Node 804. I can't get more than 20". Just wish some vendor sold that bare case.
45 Drives is a Protocase company. Give them a call to see what you can buy. They were very helpful with extra parts I requested. I'll be challenging to do the build without their backplane so it's a pain not to go all in.

I already have a QNAP 453be, QNAP Ryzen TS-1877 and a Netgear ReadyNas 3312. After my build is done something has to go. It's getting ridiculous.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Got almost everything in place for testing. All is working well and my SAS3 card is on the way to connect the last 8 ports.

Left:
- Install, Flash and Test SAS3 Card
- Install 10GB Card (I got a few on tap)
- Install Dual 2.5inch HDD Cady on the rear
- Tidy Wires
- Install the two parts that provide the guided slots for the HDDs
- Data Hoard!!!

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
hmm... so 20" is actually what im capable of using aswell..

This is going to get expensive with shipping and taxes... doh

Reactions: DaddyGrant

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I finally got the SAS3 card and now need a head shunt jumper to flash it to IT Mode. Ughhhh

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I'm finally done. No comments on my shitty cable engagement please. I have accepted that I'm no good at it.

Next steps
1. Dig up my internal USB header adapter to bring the boot drive inside the chassis.
2. Dig up a quieter CPU cooler. The stock AMD is by far the loudest fan.

Reactions: BennyT and itronin

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
Very cool. I was looking at the storinator chassis prior to selecting the Norco I have now. At the time I didn't think Storinator chassis were sold separate without motherboard, etc.

Sure is a nice looking chassis

jcl333

May 28, 2011
This is a really nice chassis, very pretty. But, I am wondering if you couldn't get a 12 or 16-bay Supermicro for about the same money all said and done?

-JCL

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I just checked up on the price of the Storinator chassi.. first response I got was $1100 usd for the chassi.. seems a bit high?

Im going to continue working on a smaller setup i guess

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It's a real niche market for that many drive in a short depth so they're able to charge quite the premium unfortunately. Certainly if you can spare the space for a Supermicro or do without rackmount you can spend well under half of that.