Please review when able: desktop Power9

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been thinking about this. There was a Raptor Systems Talos II Lite motherboard at the Xilinx event with a Xilinx Alveo.
Raptor Systems Talos II Lite with Xilinx Alveo.jpg
The bigger concern/ issue I have is simply that the cost of Power9 systems compared to what you get makes it hard to swallow.

I also asked the IBM Power team at Hot Chips 30 (including a STH reader at IBM) and I was told that these are viewed as "toys"

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
But do they come with a z/OS license?
Would love to play with modern z/OS but IBM makes it darn near unobtainable for hobbyiests.

Reactions: gigatexal

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not zOS, those are really a Linux play.
Power9 support AIX and Linux, the Z series chip is a bit different.

Power9 is not that expensive at the higher end for sure or the real low end either. Just have to find the right negotiation or buy off the web store special combos for real low end.

Reactions: Patrick

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I am always down for playing with different tech. At this price point, it might be a lot of fun.

...But then reality kicks in. What would I use it for? Do I really need another Linux box around the house? Can this do something that an x86 box can't? What does it offer over a used Power7 eBay special?

Reactions: gigatexal