Please help with Audio PC setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Narcissus

Aug 25, 2014
Greetings Everyone, my first post here and probably many more in the future

I'am in the process of building a computer for audio purpose only. I'am a complete noob with computers besides using them. I have been researching for days, probably a month and I did find some answers, but I want to be 100% sure if I'am buying the correct parts which are compatible.

I believe some of you might be kind enough (if i may add, highly skilled experts with immense knowledge of computers) to help me out with this dilemma & queries which bog my mind.
the configuration....

Case- either streacom FC10, hdplex 5 (new gen, to be released anytime now) or a tried and tested Silverstone TJ 08 E
Mobo Intel S1200V3 motherboard
Intel Haswell Xeon E3-1230L v3 CPU
PPA studio USB card
SSD 16GB Apacer SLC industrial type or CF card (for more advanced users)
the ram would be 2x2GB Apacer ECC DDR3-1066 RAM, CL7, unbuffered, industrial series (extended temp range from -45 to +85
Thermalright HR02 heatsink
PSU highly recommend multi-rail (3.3v, 5v, 12v) linear PSU directly into motherboard.

I'am confused about the MOBO, there are 4 versions in the intel s1200v3 family, RPL, RPO, RPM, RPS. Please remember this will be a dedicated PC for playing audio only.
I have been asked to choose the one with minimum features, which one would that be?

providing a few links (some authored by Patrick) for a quick read....

Intel® Server Board S1200V3RP Family

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...150-haswell-processors-and-motherboards.1816/

http://www.servethehome.com/2014-refresh-intel-xeon-e3-1200-v3-comparison/

ARK | Compare Intel Products

thank you in advance and best regards,
Ben
p.s. OS would be windows server 2012 r2.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The 16GB SLC ssd is not really needed for an OS installation and is probably not all that quick. Upgrade the RAM to atleast 2 x 4. Get rid of the low power CPU as all Haswell quad cores are the lowest powered CPUs you can find anyway.

Reactions: Patrick

Narcissus

Aug 25, 2014
The 16GB SLC ssd is not really needed for an OS installation and is probably not all that quick. Upgrade the RAM to atleast 2 x 4. Get rid of the low power CPU as all Haswell quad cores are the lowest powered CPUs you can find anyway.
Hey Mike, thanks for the advise. Would you please elaborate on why you think the 16GB SSD is not required & what would be a better, quicker alternative? Why upgrade the RAM to 2x4, why not get Get a good quality, low latency RAM. Opinions vary, but 4GB of RAM is enough. I've read less memory can also free up the processor's duties which may actually improve the sound. ECC may have a sound quality advantage.when 4GB I'm told is more than enough? Agreed all Haswell quad cores run on low power but as you can see in the comparison below the 1230L V3 has a TDP of 25. Heck, its expensive @ 315 $ and not even available :(

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Hey Mike, thanks for the advise. Would you please elaborate on why you think the 16GB SSD is not required & what would be a better, quicker alternative? Why upgrade the RAM to 2x4, why not get Get a good quality, low latency RAM. Opinions vary, but 4GB of RAM is enough. I've read less memory can also free up the processor's duties which may actually improve the sound. ECC may have a sound quality advantage.when 4GB I'm told is more than enough? Agreed all Haswell quad cores run on low power but as you can see in the comparison below the 1230L V3 has a TDP of 25. Heck, its expensive @ 315 $ and not even available :(
Make sure you get the gold plated CPU as that improves the sound quality. Wait, they are all gold plated ;)
All of it is unlikely to benefit the sound quality in any way, even on a professional level. Although 4GB ram may be enough and you may be stuck with some 32b application, a little headroom is always welcome i guess. Latency hasn't been all that important with the last generation of CPUs IMO. The TDP is a way of determining the maximum energy consumption at a certain (max) load. The L-CPU may have a lower TDP, but at half the capacity and equal lower boundary and slope.
As for the SLC SSD. It's probably an early generation model that only has the advantage of having a lot of write cycles being SLC. A generic 256GB ssd is likely to cost the same amount of money and last you for another 100 years as your OS drive. Also, 2012 requires 32GB and that's probably cutting it close already.

( They did make a motherboard that was equiped with a tube amplifier at some point :D)