Please help me decide on what hdd to get for nas storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
HGST Ultrastar he8 6tb sata HUH728060ALE600 for $238 on ebay and $213 on provantage
HGST Deskstar NAS 6tb $240 everywhere.
WD pro 6tb NAS 6tb $275 everywhere.

My case will hold 10 hdd and I would like to buy drives that have vibration protection because I might get a 24 bay server rack in the future.

I'm not planing on doing any RAID atm I will be using stablebit Drivepool but if i don't like it I will be doing software raid with windows 10.

Leaning towards the hgst ultrastar but I don't know why this exact model is cheaper than others on the same line. Any help is appreciated.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I'd go with either the WD Red Pros or the WD Black RE, both have a 5 year warranty and have the proper vibration dampening technology for a large disk array.
I have a couple of WD Black REs that have nearly 65,ooo hours on them and still going strong.
That's the only brand that I have not experienced unacceptable failure rates with. I used to like Maxtor but they went to the dogs and then were bought out.
NEC and Seagate are by far the worst.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'd go with either the WD Red Pros or the WD Black RE, both have a 5 year warranty and have the proper vibration dampening technology for a large disk array.
I have a couple of WD Black REs that have nearly 65,ooo hours on them and still going strong.
That's the only brand that I have not experienced unacceptable failure rates with. I used to like Maxtor but they went to the dogs and then were bought out.
NEC and Seagate are by far the worst.
It's WD Black or WD RE (or RE4 / or older #s) not Black RE.

Reactions: pgh5278

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Among those choices, I would get the #213 drives. The different between that and the WD Pro is 3 extra drives (13 He8 vs for a 10 WD Pro) . That's more than make up any reliability differences.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Yup ended up getting the hgst ultrastar because of 5 years warranty and better drivers overall. Made up my mind when confirmed the warranty of the drives. Thanks all.