Playing with Proxmox - ZFS send work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Just started playing with Proxmox. I have two servers. One at my house and another one at a remote datacenter (my neighbor's house).

We have a slow-ish WiFi link that can pull 1-2MBps which is ok but not fast.

I copied over a development VM recently that had a big database application and a lot of data.

I now want to move my latest changes over. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I'm estimating of the 40GB volume <500MB changed. At 1-2MBps it's like 15 hours for me to transfer.

Since both are running on ZFS, can I use ZFS send and then hope it copies over?

My changes are:
  • Updated database (MySQL)
  • Updated web files (nginx /var/www/)
  • Updated /etc/network/interfaces for the IP on his network.
I was just going to rsync the files but when I do I run into issues because /var/www is owned by www-data not my superuser account (call it biren78).

I could sneakernet when they get home tomorrow but I'd rather figure out how to do it.

I guess my question is, has anyone successfully done an incremental ZFS send from one Proxmox server to another? I've been reading about it and that seems like the way to go with this setup. All I'd have to do is remember to change the interfaces file.

I've been reading but I don't want to mess something up and have to spend 10+ hours transferring. Any help if someone has the command scripted and can just paste what they use would make me more confident in trying it.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I still have not done the ZFS send to move these (but I want to).

What I would suggest is to do:
Code:
sudo usermod -a -G www-data biren78
That should make your rsync work.