Playing with 10GigE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
What about speed between two windows boxes?
I've thought about that. Wondering how a Server-2008 box does as a fileserver over Samba. Seems like it might be a good exercise. I am planning to test that, but without having a switch in the path I am one-NIC short of being able to set it up. The 10Gbe is point-to-point from my editing workstation to my fileserver and then separately from the fileserver to the ESXi host, so I don't really have a way to test this right now. Ideally I'd really like to test bare-metal Server2008 as well as virtualized under ESXi and Hyper-V. Don't know if I will have time. I still have the Juniper switch sitting around so I could put it back in if i had to...

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
If anybody knows how to tune Samba/CIFS shares on SE11 I'd love to hear it...
If you haven't done any special settings in your share you should be getting performances not to far from NFS. Try to disable 'atime'. I get better CIFS transfers than yours on a 1Gbe with only 4 HDD in raidz1 a X3440 and half the RAM. ~100-120 MB/s both read and write with defaults and atime disabled.

ciao
Alberto

murtoz

Aug 10, 2011
Wiltshire
:) Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread! Please carry on optimising your storage and one fine day I might emulate your setup (should I ever win the lottery!)

iieeann

Oct 14, 2011
Nice post! I can use this as guideline to setup my game later ^^

I just ordered 2x 10GBE adapter to play around, X520-T2. Might be able to test it next week. I don't use switch though, it is simply too expensive for me.

_Adrian_

Jun 25, 2012
Leduc, AB
This is interesting :)

I have some a bunch of Fiber channel SAN from HP kicking around...
Sadly the controller is SCSI U320 based, but it does support up to 4 SCSi shelfs or 8 SATA shelfs
The SCSI MSA30 supports up to 14 SCSi drives 300GB each or MSA20 supports up to 12 SATA drives maximum 2TB each drive.

However, I also have a Smart Array 6404 card that i can use.
What are you using for server software and for benchmarking ??

Also, what raid level are you running ?

DAMMIT...
Just realized how old this post was.

Last edited: