Planning a new XEON-W workstation build

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Waterkippie, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Waterkippie

Waterkippie New Member

Hi,

I'm planning a new workstation based on the new XEON-W platform, currently i'm running a X99 with i7-5820k (6C/12T 3.30 - 3.8) and 16G of ram (which im running out of all the time):

Build’s Name: Workstation
    Operating System / Storage Platform: Windows 10 x64 Enterprise
    CPU: LGA2066 Intel Xeon W-2155 10C/20T 3.30GHZ - 4.50GHZ
    Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SRA-F with IPMI / Audio
    Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium
    Drives: Intel DC P3700 1.6TB PCIe Card
    RAM: 8x16GB DDR4-2666 ECC Kingston KSM26RD8/16HAI 2Rx8
    Add-in Cards: MSI NVIDIA GTX970 (probably upgrade to 1080TI later)
    Add-in Cards: Uptimed 10G X540 Server Dual Port Copper RJ45
    Power Supply: Corsair AX760
    Other Bits: CPU cooling with AIO NZXT Kraken X62, 280mm radiator
    Other Bits: Horizontal TPM 2.0 with Infineon 9665,RoHS/REACH,PBF AOM-TPM-9665H (for encrypted disk)

Usage Profile: Using it as a remote workstation via RDP for programming (on 24/7) , running virtual machines (entire testing clusters of servers), occasional game (local).

Questions:
    1) I'm looking for 128GB RAM, going to experiment with RAM disks and many vms, is it wise to go for 4x32 allowing for expansion later, or 8x16 filling all slots for 2 dimms per channel?
    2) Is the IPMI usable without an igpu? I know the mobo has the onboard chip, but i will be using the geforce for graphics. Will i be able to take over the console?
    3) Any other advice, thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    gigatexal and nk215 like this.
  2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

First off, I am very excited about this build.

1) Get 4x 32GB so you can expand later if you want.
    2) Depends on how you configure this. For example, I will IPMI into the 8x and 10x GPU deep learning servers. Once you are in Windows, use Remote Desktop if you can. It is much better to use in an OS. IPMI is more for troubleshooting.
    3) Likely an opportunity to use a different SSD and save some money there. Also, if you can, get Samsung, Micron or SK.Hynix. Kingston is not on the Supermicro Qualified Memory List.

3. Waterkippie

Waterkippie New Member

Alright, so using 2DPC doesn't really matter much speed wise? Great.

Yea i know IPMI is only for management, but since im working remote alot, i need it for when the PC becomes unstable or crashes, had it a few times now and i need a way to reboot it and operate the bios screens. For Windows i'll be using RDP only.

I was able to buy the SSD relatively cheap a while ago, so i already have it in my current build :)

For the RAM, yea i'll be looking at the vendor list soon, but it's not up yet for this motherboard, it appears this mobo is now in beta testing and will be available around the end of this month. (supermicro distributor said this)

I was looking into going LGA3647 for this since i just love those big CPU's. Motherboards, even dual socket ones, arent even that expensive. Trouble appears with the CPU's, if you want a decent amount of cores and high clock speeds, (single thread perf is important to me) the prices are through the roof!
    For example the Gold 6146 would be great, but $3286, wow..

Also silent cooling is super important to me, which may be a problem with LGA3647, although i did have an interesting find tho, SuperMicro makes a 240mm AIO water cooling solution for LGA3647, but it's not for sale seperately, look at this:
    https://www.supermicro.com/a_images/products/views/5038K-i_side.jpg

4. sushanth

sushanth New Member

I Am actually more or less looking to build the workstation with same kind of hardware.Can you suggest me a a place where i can buy the Xeon-W Processors and also motherboards with Xeon-W support.This is my first PC build and am very naive with all this .

Appreciate your response.

5. Waterkippie

Waterkippie New Member

I'm still waiting too, none of this stuff seems to be available yet.

6. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I don’t believe the Xeon phi version of heatsinks work on the other Xeon types ? I could be wrong but I thought I remember reading that.

And get 4 x 32gb if you can, allows expansion.

7. Matthew O'Connell

Matthew O'Connell New Member

Please keep us updated I want to build a workstation for my vms that can double up for gaming when required.

8. Waterkippie

Waterkippie New Member

Well the update is, this stuff still isnt available anywhere, the motherboards, the CPU's, it's almost impossible to purchase.

So i figured going for a consumer x299 CPU, but i need IPMI so the motherboard would be the ASUS WS X299 Pro/SE. But again, not in stock anywhere.

9. Matthew O'Connell

Matthew O'Connell New Member

ah ok bad time of year for things being in stock...

10. sushanth

sushanth New Member

11. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

What specifically are you wanting to purchase? Most of the items on your list appear to be fairly easily sourced with a little digging around..

An Supermicro makes a few boards that will run the W's no problem. X10DRU-i+ for instance will cover you @160W TDP/socket for 2687Wv4's, but the OEM ultra chassis is tough to come by.

With a little work, however, the board can be put in an Intel S2600W chassis. I managed to get one into a SM 847 chassis as well..

12. alex_stief

alex_stief Active Member

@AJXCR
    Xeon W is the new line of Intel Xeon Processors with Skylake architecture for Socket 2066. The older Broadwell-EP Xeons with a "W" suffix have nothing to do with it.

13. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

Ah... Completely glazed over that. I'm familiar with the 3647 socket P processors as I've now accumulated a number of them and am on the hunt for boards. It seems I've been hiding under a rock :eek:

14. Waterkippie

Waterkippie New Member

A little update, because the XEON-W parts were so hard to find find and expensive, i went for this:

ASUS WS X299 Pro/SE (Workstation X299 board with IPMI)
    Intel i9-7900X
    64GB DDR4 8x8GB 4200MHZ CMK64GX4M8X4200
    Intel P3700 1.6TB NVME SSD
    Gigabyte 1070TI
    Corsair AX760
    Kraken X62 AIO
    Fractal Design R6 Case

Unfortunately the RAM isnt stable on XMP settings @ 4200 mhz, even though they say they tested it on this mobo.
    So i'm running it at the same timings just on 4000MHZ, seems ok. They do get very hot at 1.45v, ah well, maybe it was a mistake to buy this expensive ram, but it seems to work for now. Maybe i should just have gone for stable 2666.

Having some issues with the IPMI module, some sensor values are bad and when taking over console i have no output, but it seems thats because im also using a 1070TI with 3 monitors, and the KVM has its own VGA chip (ASPEED 2500) and the output is displayed there. Still working on it.

Pics soon.

15. Waterkippie

Waterkippie New Member

Just a short update, everything works fine except the motherboard, i really don't like it.

It often has trouble booting, needs some resets before it works, maybe because of USB controller.
    IPMI doesnt work with a discrete graphics card,
    IPMI sensors do not work, everything monitors criticial, asus knows about it and says just to wait for the next update.
    Also no way to manually set fan profiles, the option just isnt there.

Conclusion: Dont buy the SUS WS X299 Pro/SE for your workstation. Thinking about switching it for the Supermicro
    C9X299-PG300F but its not available yet.

C9X299-PG300F | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Tha_14 likes this.