Planning a MZ32-AR0 based multicomputer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Isaac R

Jan 22, 2020
I've had my eye on the MZ32-AR0, for the sheer amount of PCIe 4.0 lanes available. Trying to make a 5 user computer (Ibik Aster would be the lazy way, or esxi) with 5 separate video cards, and using an Aorus Gen4 AIC Adaptor to feed 4 of the users with dedicated high speed storage, the 5th one and the OS running off the m.2 slots on the mobo.

I don't mind only populating 8 slots with ram, to get the advertised DDR4 3200 speed... but the CAS latency on ECC ram is slow. I don't particularly need ECC in this case, so would ot be possible to use a non-ECC kit?

I'd try for a 7402P for the extra threads, as I think a 7302P might be a little light for 5 users.

Riser cable types would be the LINKUP brand on Amazon.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I am fairly certain that any combination of motherboard and Epyc CPU requires RDIMM or LRDIMM. So you are stuck with the latency these types of memory offer. ECC UDIMM won't work either.

tsteine

May 15, 2019
I'm curious about this myself, running 2 ESXi hosts with KRPA-U16 | Servers & Workstations | ASUS Global and 128GB RDIMM memory with a 7302P.
I could try swapping out memory in one of those hosts with non ECC UDIMM modules. Though even if that works, there is no guarantee it will hold true for the MZ32-AR0. That being said, the Epyc processors are SoCs and very few chipset components reside on motherboards, so I'd say chances are good it would work for MZ32-AR0 as well.

tsteine

May 15, 2019
I'm afraid the news are grim, with 4 sticks of 8GB DDR4 non-ECC UDIMM modules, KRPA-U16 and 7302P will not boot.

Isaac R

Jan 22, 2020
Good luck! I did see a post about someone not having much luck with non-ecc on an MZ31, but it could be that either the memory profile was in the way, or they just had ram that didn't like the motherboard.

Joqur

Feb 22, 2019
Has anyone of you managed to actually source an MZ32-AR0? No one seems to be able to get ahold of one

Isaac R

Jan 22, 2020
From what I can tell, the few that offer it "out of stock" plan on ordering them as requested. At least that's what one of them claimed to do. I don't know. I'd rather it be easier to get rather than a little cheaper, from Newegg or something. But yes, I noticed the out of stock for them on every listed source too.

Joqur

Feb 22, 2019
From what I can tell, the few that offer it "out of stock" plan on ordering them as requested. At least that's what one of them claimed to do. I don't know. I'd rather it be easier to get rather than a little cheaper, from Newegg or something. But yes, I noticed the out of stock for them on every listed source too.
I tried ordering it from a local vendor about a month ago. They had ordered it from their distributor, but it kept getting delayed. It was delayed four times until the vendor finally said they can't get ahold of it as it keeps getting delayed, so they've chosen to remove it from their listing.

This makes me wonder, is Gigabyte having issues? Perhaps they're not really making them anymore due to low demand?

Isaac R

Jan 22, 2020
I hope not. It really does suit what I want it for. They do use the same board in at least one of their server offerings, but I would not like to purchase a whole chassis I do not plan on using.

Joqur

Feb 22, 2019
I hope not. It really does suit what I want it for. They do use the same board in at least one of their server offerings, but I would not like to purchase a whole chassis I do not plan on using.
I'm in the exact same situation.

I've reached out to Gigabyte through my work to see if they can provide me with information of a distributor that might be able to assist.

Edit: Update, MZ32-AR0 is at a certain-buyer-bought-everything shortage and there's no current ETA on when it will let up

Last edited:

Isaac R

Jan 22, 2020
Colamco says they have 8 in stock currently, although I am not yet at the point to get one lol. Good luck!