Planned Mini-ITX Home ESXi Server Recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

outofbounds

Apr 14, 2015
Build’s Name: Home ESXi
Operating System: VMWare ESXi
CPU: Intel C2758
Motherboard: Supermicro A1SRi-2758F
Chassis: ?
Drives: ?
RAM: 16GB
Add-in Cards: none
Power Supply: ?
Other Bits: none for now

Usage Profile: Router/firewall, network monitoring, simple server and testing stuff

I'm looking to build a new ESXi server at home to replace the one I have running on an old PC.

It will be hosting my pfSense router, Security Onion monitoring my network, a Windows 7 Plex Server and possibly a couple other linux VMs from time to time.

The biggest requirement is that it be as quiet as possible. Airflow and cooling is a high second as it will be in a room without air conditioning.

In doing research I've settled on the above CPU/motherboard, but am open to suggestions if something else is a better fit at a similar cost.

I will probably go with a 4TB hard drive (and maybe a smaller SSD for the ESXi/pfSense installs).

What I am especially looking for is recommendations for cases. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Cooler Master Elite 130 or Thermaltake Mini-ITX Cube Case CA-1B8-00S1WN-00? Or have any other cases to recommend?

Also any recommendations for a specific low end PSU that is quiet cheap?

Reactions: OBasel

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Are you locked into a MiniITX build? SuperMicro makes a C2750 in a MicroATX form factor, which gives you more room for future expansion, and opens up the door for lower cost PSU without sacrificing quality.

outofbounds

Apr 14, 2015
Are you locked into a MiniITX build? SuperMicro makes a C2750 in a MicroATX form factor, which gives you more room for future expansion, and opens up the door for lower cost PSU without sacrificing quality.
I am not locked into MiniITX. I think I went that route because the MiniITX board has USB 3 while the MicroATX board only has USB 2. Ultimately not a big deal either way for this system and I could go with MicroATX if there is a benefit.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
If you're interested, I'll be decommissioning these components in the next week or so:

Fractal Design Node 304
Asrock e3c224d2i (ITX server board, supports Xeon E3s, 16GB ECC ram, 6x SATA)
Pentium G3220
Seasonic 360w PSU
If I find a good deal on RDIMMs I'll also be selling my 2x8GB ECC UDIMMs.

The only downside to these parts for your PF application would be the 2xGbE ports vs. the 4 spec'd on your desired board. The Node 304 is a very quiet case with the fan switch on "low." PM me with an offer if you're interested.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I am not locked into MiniITX. I think I went that route because the MiniITX board has USB 3 while the MicroATX board only has USB 2. Ultimately not a big deal either way for this system and I could go with MicroATX if there is a benefit.
MiniITX only has the one expansion slot. That seems like enough if you plan properly, but since you're hanging around these forums there is a good chance you are going to get the impulse to expand at some future point, and one slot definitely limits that, necessitating forklift upgrades. On the plus side, you'll be able to give someone a great deal on your used hardware when you figure out you need to migrate to a platform that allows for more expansion.

:) Speaking from experience, that is.