Planing to buy my first server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
I hope this is the correct place for this.

Ok I was recommended to come here to ask my question from someone that has been helping me since I got the bug of wanting my own server lol. I am a newbie when it comes to servers please be patient.

Here is the server I want to get I was pointed to this,I just have some questions.
4U 24 Bay Storage Server FreeNAS Media CCTV ZFS X9DRI-F 2x E5-2630L V2 64GB 6GBs

I plan to upgrade the CPU's to 2 Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2,I know its overkill but its what I want.

Stuff I plan to do with it are;
Storage like backing up games,files,pictures,movies etc.
Running my steam library from it maybe.
VM’s
Game Server.
My own cloud.
Maybe a web server.
Plex Server or something similar.
pfSense from the same server.
Maybe have my security cameras record to a drive somehow.
Ftp server or simular
SETI@Home
Plus other interesting things.

Question 1;
Can this system run Windows server 2019 and maybe Vmware ESXi 6.0? I ask cause according to this site I see no mention but I was told to pretty much ignore that.
Compatible Os's

Question 2;
Can the system pretty much do all the recent stuff that is out there?

Question 3;
With the backplate the system has can I still use Hard drives above 14TB? or would that need to be upgraded and would there be upgrades for my system?

Here is the motherboard specs btw;

Motherboard

Question 4;
Just to be safe it can use the Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 correct?
It is under the Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2 microprocessor family;
I hope im reading it right.

Question 5;
Just for the heck of it if for some reason I wanted to put windows 10 on it will it work?

Question 6;
I heard this thing will be loud is it possible to change the fans to something quiet? If so what are the recommendations on fans?

Question 7;
Can you put a Video card in this? a low profile one?

Question 8;
What OS's would yas recommend? FreeNAS or something else? I like FreeNAS cause it has a Web Based config that you can use.

I am hopeing that this server will be good for the next few years before I need to upgrade.

Sorry for all the silly question but thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
  1. Yes, Windows Server 2019 will work fine. ESX should be fine too.
  2. It's an older board, so power usage will be worse than a recent system. A more modern system would use less power, have more cores, and faster per-thread performance, but it should be fine for the things you listed. Are you noise sensitive? Where is this system going?
  3. The SC846 chassis backplane should work fine with 14TB drives.
  4. Depending on the rev of motherboard you may not be able to put v2 CPUs in this system.
  5. Yes this should also be fine, but you'll have to get all the drivers installed.
  6. You'll need 920SQ power supplies. You may wish to swap fans... I haven't done this though, but others may know better/more. Likely if you do this, the drives won't cool properly in this chassis.
  7. It'll take full height cards. If you get a P2000, you'll need a full height bracket.
  8. 2019, 10, ESX or FreeNAS should work on this. Given the age, ESX may drop support (or already dropped?) for this board. I'm not sure.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
As an additional note for ESX, the v2 CPU line is fully supported for current ESXI versions: VMware Compatibility Guide - cpu

6.7 should work for the board as well (some of the sensors may not be 100% though) if you really needed that you could go a version back, ESX 5.5 is guaranteed to be supported, it should be most if not fully functional on 6.7 though.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
  2. It's an older board, so power usage will be worse than a recent system. A more modern system would use less power, have more cores, and faster per-thread performance, but it should be fine for the things you listed. Are you noise sensitive? Where is this system going?
  4. Depending on the rev of motherboard you may not be able to put v2 CPUs in this system.
  5. Yes this should also be fine, but you'll have to get all the drivers installed.
  6. You'll need 920SQ power supplies. You may wish to swap fans... I haven't done this though, but others may know better/more. Likely if you do this, the drives won't cool properly in this chassis.
  7. It'll take full height cards. If you get a P2000, you'll need a full height bracket.
  8. 2019, 10, ESX or FreeNAS should work on this. Given the age, ESX may drop support (or already dropped?) for this board. I'm not sure.
I have a link in my post for the motherboard it does mention V2 cpu's

Could you recommend something that is more modern and prebuilt like the server I mentioned? Im just worried about stuff having no support anymore.

Ill have like $1000 to play with soon. I just want to get a decent server that will enable me to do with I want for the next few years.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Who are you concerned about getting support from? Or what do you mean by not having support anymore?
Do you mean compatibility and not working with future updates? or actual support?

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
I decided to go with the E5-2650 V2 instead its cheaper and I can always upgrade if needed.

I am gonna try and build a server instead.
Ill post my build when its done :)

Rain

May 13, 2013
A few at-a-glance comments:
  • ConnectX-3 10GbE cards are only a bit more money these days than the prior-gen ConnectX-2 cards. The ConnectX-2 cards are still great (I'm still running plenty of them), but I'm no longer buying ConnectX-2 cards going forward.
  • Unless you're planning on installing more 16GB RAM modules in the future and need the density, I'd highly recommend getting 8GB modules (at a higher frequency, too!). 4x16GB will only be running in dual-channel mode (2 sticks per CPU). With 4x8GB sticks per CPU you'll be in quad-channel.
  • Noctua makes a pretty good 4U compatible cooler. If you're trying to keep the system quiet, this may be worth looking into.
  • Are you in the US? I would personally shuck Easystores and get new drives over buying used HGST He8's. To each their own, though.
  • I've never been a Rosewill fan, but I guess ~$135 for 15 3.5 bays is "fine."

Reactions: Spartacus

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
+1 to the above:
You can get a dual port connectx-3 for the same price as two single port connectx-2: Mellanox ConncetX-3 EN 10GbE SFP+ Dual Port Network Card - MCX312A-XCBT | eBay
If you want quieter, get the noctua coolers the NH-U14S are solid (if it'll fit in the case) otherwise the NH-U9DX i4 is made for 4U cases (double check the clearance).
Those CPUs support 12800R as long as the mobo bios is up to date, get that in some 8gb sticks as mentioned unless you need more than 128gb total (theres often sticks for sale here on the forums about 20% cheaper than ebay too).
I agree somewhat on the easystore as they are sata drives, you only have 8 SAS slots for drives on your motherboard so for more than 8 SAS drives, you'll need add-in controllers for additional SAS drives which you do technically have the slot space for. (Sata drives work in SAS ports, SAS dont work in Sata ports).

I would still highly recommend the supermicro as the hotswap bays are super convenient.
You can find empty supermicro chassis that you can suit to your needs for cheaper as an option too.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
My new build;
I type too slow. Others beat me to my comments on RAM and NICs.

But I would add, that if you do look at a different CPU cooler than the Intel you have in your list, make sure its compatible with the motherboard. Your selected motherboard has the Narrow ILM mounting, so your selection of coolers is going to be more limited. For example, I don't think the Noctua NH-U14S mentioned above will fit, but the NH-U9DX mentioned above will. The NH-D9X and NH-U12DX will also work with the socket, but you'd still need to check clearance with the case.

Last edited:

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
Updated ;
Server Build

The reason I have 2 of those ConnectX-2 cards is one is going in to PC one in Server and will be using the DAC cable for Direct connect between the 2.

The NH-U14S cooler I did look at but expensive for me at the moment,but if I ever upgrade to the Intel
Xeon E5-2697 v2 down the road I'll take a look at he NH-U14S again.

I'll get more ram eventually :)

I went and brought everything that last thing says it will be here on or before the 24th,bleh hate waiting so long lol.
So hope everything work,I'm always catious buying used stuff.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
A few at-a-glance comments:
  • ConnectX-3 10GbE cards are only a bit more money these days than the prior-gen ConnectX-2 cards. The ConnectX-2 cards are still great (I'm still running plenty of them), but I'm no longer buying ConnectX-2 cards going forward.
  • Unless you're planning on installing more 16GB RAM modules in the future and need the density, I'd highly recommend getting 8GB modules (at a higher frequency, too!). 4x16GB will only be running in dual-channel mode (2 sticks per CPU). With 4x8GB sticks per CPU you'll be in quad-channel.
  • Noctua makes a pretty good 4U compatible cooler. If you're trying to keep the system quiet, this may be worth looking into.
  • Are you in the US? I would personally shuck Easystores and get new drives over buying used HGST He8's. To each their own, though.
  • I've never been a Rosewill fan, but I guess ~$135 for 15 3.5 bays is "fine."
I did pick 16gig sticks have 4 of them coming,should be better correct? Check out my updated list.
Stupid me for got the switch but I think it comes with a nic or 2 on the MB so I can have it connected to the net.

I was told ram speed isn't important in a server?
I will get faster ram in the future when its needed.

Last edited:

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
As an additional note for ESX, the v2 CPU line is fully supported for current ESXI versions: VMware Compatibility Guide - cpu

6.7 should work for the board as well (some of the sensors may not be 100% though) if you really needed that you could go a version back, ESX 5.5 is guaranteed to be supported, it should be most if not fully functional on 6.7 though.
The link you have there is dead was wondering if the E5-2650 V2 is compatible with ESXi 6.7

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
The the board revision is 1.02

Dumb question that is the version of the board not the bios correct?

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
If your doing point to point with the 2 cards. Buy these instead
Dell MGN4V Mellanox MCX353A-FCBT ConnectX-3 FDR InfiniBand 56GbE/40GbE QSFP RDMA | eBay

They are supported in all the OS's you mentioned and will give you 40Gig point to point. And when you decide to expand your home lab there are plenty of switches on here with 40Gig connects.

as far as the actual server.. I prefer to buy the used full server.. I stick with supermicro or HP.

things like this HP Proliant DL380p G8 Gen8 12LFF 2x 8 CORE E5-2689 2.6GHz 128GB RAM NO HDD | eBay

You get dual redundant power supplies. Full remote access to the console and baseboard. You can turn this thing on and off, update the bios, full kvm in html5 in the browser. And HP still suppies firmware updates for these. Mine are updated to 2019 firmware direct from HP (No paid support account just free signup and download). They are however noisy as servers tend to be.. but if you want a server they are solid equipment. Well built, good documentation.

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Just my 2 dollars* worth.

*adjusted for inflation.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Supermicro and Dell provide both for free for the life of the product, HPE you need a login and active warranty (or has that changed?)
I'm not a fan of HPE as much due to that reason.