PKI in home(lab?)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Who here is running full pki in their home?

I have my own standalone offline root with online subordinate servers in my sandbox. The offline root is a vm on a rw dvd that lives in my safe deposit box outside of when I have to bring it back for root certificate refresh every 2 years (intentional, keeps the VM current and I burn a new dvd just because).

All of my internal domain traffic is encrypted, and a device certificate is required along with login credentials.

Is this over the top or just getting to where we should be?

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Just a basic setup via FreeIPA. I did set up a few web certs for various internal services/devices just to keep the browser warning from coming up on the redirect to HTTPS.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
To me PKI is having every node configured to trust the CA. And for the company, its a pain not worth enduring. Especially if you got multiple offices and some remote tech-illiterate employees.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah missing automation capabilities keep me too.
I am not motivated to do the 50 parts at home (client/server/services) and can't imagine doing companies with a diverse setup...
I worked for large financial institues and even they don't do everything - cheaper to swallow the risk then spend money on every exotic system they run.

Too bad actually, would love to have that set up properly...