pikvm - An Open Source IP KVM project using the Raspberry Pi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
Hey,

I'm not the author of this project or affiliated with it in any way. I used this project in a recent home server build and am super impressed with it so I thought I'd spread the word.

I was looking to build a home server. Decided I wanted a tower ATX. I wanted to go Ryzen and found that there were very few motherboards you could buy with remote management and Ryzen support. I opted for a gamer focused b550 motherboard and added on this Pi to give me my remote management needs.
It gives you the whole remote display/keyboard/mouse/power controls. Along with .iso image mounting.

Anyways. Maybe some of you guys will find it as cool as i did!

Attachments

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
For those curious about how its wired up:
  • A cheap Aliexpress HDMI capture board connects to the Pi Camera port and provides the HDMI display. This cable loops back to the graphics card output outside the case.
  • The PIs usb port provides power and Keyboard/Mouse/CDRom emulation. Its a custom cable which grabs power from the PSUs 24pin ATX Connectors +5v standby rail. The USB cable also connects to one of the internal motherboard USB headers.
  • The motherboards Power/Reset/LED pins provide Power/Reset and Power on status. A custom (messy) circuit board enables this using the PIs GPIO pins with solid state relays - more on that in the project link. The cases original power/reset/led pins are still hooked up and functional via a Y cable.
  • The Pis ethernet connection goes out the case to a female/female adaptor for a nice connection to the management LAN.