PicoPSU Reliability

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I figured I'd start a thread on a topic that I have been wondering about for some time.

I have 11 picopsu 90 and 150's. Each has between 1.5 and 2.5 years on them. Not a single one has failed on me.

Are they a potentially viable server PSU? I've been thinking that if I could change a normal PSU for a picopsu and use the space for SSDs instead the 160XT might be a really good option.

Anyone have issues with picopsus before or have they been reliable for you?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
- I've never seen one fail either.
- Power bricks fail all the time.
- Make sure you consider reliability of the system (pico+brick) when making your decision
- For a server you've got to figure out something better than a barrel plug to connect the brick. Something that easy to knock loose is a disaster waiting to happen for a server

Reactions: Hanss

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I probably have 8-12 that I have been using and have never seen a PicoPSU fail. I have seen strange power bricks but it is hard to find the reliability of those.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
- I've never seen one fail either.
- Power bricks fail all the time.
- Make sure you consider reliability of the system (pico+brick) when making your decision
- For a server you've got to figure out something better than a barrel plug to connect the brick. Something that easy to knock loose is a disaster waiting to happen for a server
These are an option

PLUGZ2GO Screw Locking DC Plug & Metal Panel Mount Socket - 2.5MM x 5.5MM | eBay

The smaller Sophos UTMs have this plug quite nice so you don't bump the cord and unplug it.

yaxisandxaxis

Jan 26, 2015
Great find.

I wonder if anyone makes a dual power brick solution. Redundant power bricks?!? I know it sounds crazy but they are cheap enough it might be worthwhile to avoid the issue of one dying.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
can you use a standard server power supply and power multiple PicoPSU?

do most of the PicoPSU support the 4 pin 12V P4 connector?

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Great find.

I wonder if anyone makes a dual power brick solution. Redundant power bricks?!? I know it sounds crazy but they are cheap enough it might be worthwhile to avoid the issue of one dying.
just hook them up in parallel. same voltage, higher amperage available to the system.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I have been using a PicoPSU on a 24/7 Haswell box about a year now. No problems, but it isn't under super-heavy load.