Picking up mining again

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XanderVR

Nov 7, 2017
Hi all,

I just registered on STH because I want to pck up mining again.
In the past I have done some LTC and BTC mining with GPU's but that has been some years now, and all stuff has been reused or sold.

Now I have 3 nodes running with a load of spare CPU cycles and was wondering what I can mine with them.
I was reading about Monero and Ethereum, and am wondering how I can best set this up.

It is 3 nodes, each running Windows Server 2016 (Hyper-V), with each node having 50% spare cycles during daytime, up to 90-98% spare cycles during night time.
Next to that I have some workstations running Core i3-6100 and 7100, and was wondering how I could run a background miner at night, which stops at 6am for example?

I am also new to Docker, so could use a hand with that, if it is the way to go :)

I am trying to reactivate my old Poloniex account, but now waiting for verification (and no, they do not get a copy of my ID, thank you...), but are there any alternatives to put XMR or ETH to BTC?
And should I use a personal wallet or just an exchange wallet when I am mining?

THanks for the information :)

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
If you are running Windows, stak-xmr-cpu is the best bet now. If you want to run in a HV VM then you can use docker but virtualized performance is always lower. That's why you're seeing people here use Linux and KVM for VMs then mining on Docker containers on the base Linux install.

Mymonero is the wallet I'd suggest for online and not an exchange.

XanderVR

Nov 7, 2017
@KioskAdmin Thanks for the info
The nodes are Hyper-V Hosts, so unfortunately I'm stuck at Windows for now.
What would be best? Should I run a linux (Ubuntu) VM with the miner, or should I install docker on the hosts and run a docker container?

XanderVR

Nov 7, 2017
Hmm I might as well just run the miner on the bare Windows 2016 installation then.
Then kill it every night to start another instance which has more threads?

-edit-
Is there a miner available which is portable (eg. no installation) and can be run in background or as service?

Last edited:

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Hi!
Didn't try on Hyper-V vm's, but no matter how hard I tried on vmware - even two machines on separate NUMA nodes do 800H/s in total, when Ubuntu, running on bare metal server makes 1050H/s on dual E5-2690. BTW, maybe it's a good idea to run miner in background, running it with "nice -n 20". Docker is doing great, that's just like portable miner.
I prefer bittrex, but some coins should be on cold wallets, for sure!

XanderVR

Nov 7, 2017
I have the possibility to do it on bare metal, I'm just stuck to using a Windows based CPU miner.
Might just look to run it as service and posibility to upscale it in the evening and night, and downscale it in the morning again.
Running a portable miner on baremetal as service would be perfect.
I have 1 node with dual e5-2620, and 2 nodes with dual e5-2640v4.

Last edited:

afrik

Nov 25, 2017
I have 1 node with dual e5-2620, and 2 nodes with dual e5-2640v4.
XanderVR, I'm about to purchase used MicroServices mobo + dual e5-2620 v2 and I can't find any confirmation for HV support.
Does the CPU support WS2016 Hyper-V ?? I'm not planning to use shielded VMs (UEFI required)

My plan is to build the dual purpose host for virtualisation LAB and CPU mining when not in use. I will also add up to 6 GPUs for GPU mining.

If you are running Windows, stak-xmr-cpu is the best bet now.
Thanks, was looking for some advice on that also.

XanderVR

Nov 7, 2017
XanderVR, I'm about to purchase used MicroServices mobo + dual e5-2620 v2 and I can't find any confirmation for HV support.
Does the CPU support WS2016 Hyper-V ?? I'm not planning to use shielded VMs (UEFI required)

My plan is to build the dual purpose host for virtualisation LAB and CPU mining when not in use. I will also add up to 6 GPUs for GPU mining.

Thanks, was looking for some advice on that also.
Hi, these cpu will support Hyper-V.
I have ran Hyper-V also on just 2 E5-2420 v1

afrik

Nov 25, 2017
Hi, these cpu will support Hyper-V.
I have ran Hyper-V also on just 2 E5-2420 v1
OK thanks.
I'd like to run Windows Server HV 2016 specifically, which added SLAT support requirement in between of other stuff - hence I'm worried.