Picking out first rack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

proxima

Sep 15, 2016
Greetings,

This is my first post -- I'm hoping this is the right section. I would like some assistance picking out a server rack.
I was looking at this one: 22U 4 Post Open Frame 19" Network Server Rack Cabinet Adjustable Depth 24"-37" | eBay

Currently, I have a freenas server that I'm transplanting into a Rosewell RSV-R4000 4U case. I also have a dual E5-2683v3 machine that will eventually get placed in the rack.

In the future I'd like to set up a small Torque cluster. So would like some room for a 40gb infiniband switch, and 2-3 more machines. Future machines will probably get placed in 4U cases to keep the noise down.

I'm not sure what depth and width I need on the rack. Are all the racks the same width? What kind of depth should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Standard width is 19" (600mm) . Server racks are much deeper than comms racks for obvious reasons but both kinds are the same width.
Depth is usually pretty standard too 32-40" (800 - 1000mm).
Also decent racks are usually welded together and there is very limited amount of bolting required other than to fit servers etc. That ebay one looks cheaply constucted.

proxima

Sep 15, 2016
Thanks for the input, I'll keep looking around and see if I can find something a little sturdier.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I been looking at racks as well. 25u or smaller range. One thing to keep in mind is where will the rack live? I plan on putting mine in a closet and have it on casters so i can move it around when I need to get to it. for a 4 post i been eyeing this model
Amazon.com: StarTech.com 25U Adjustable Depth Open Frame 4 Post Server Rack Cabinet with Casters/Levelers and Cable Management Hooks 4POSTRACK25U Black: Computers & Accessories

I rather get an enclosed model like this one; Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 24U Rack Enclosure Server Cabinet, Mid Depth, 32.5" Deep (SR24UB): Computers & Accessories

Only issue is the price tag lol. Also if you dont mind used, keep an eye on CL ads for local deals.

proxima

Sep 15, 2016
I think we are looking for around the same rack, somewhere around the 20U to 25U range and on casters. I've got a laundry/utilities room connected to my garage where I plan to house the rack, plenty of space there.

I really like the Tripp Lite enclosed rack you linked, but the price is an issue for me as well.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
For racks also try craisgslist and computer related user groups / mailing lists in the local area. Because good ones are heavy, it can be easier to source them locally used from companies that are going out of business or reorganizing. You can even get them for free if you are willing to take them off people's hands quickly, some places will just sell them to scrapers as steel by weight to get rid of them quick. Good excuse to rent a truck by the hour and find 2 friends to help you out :)

If you have the height for it, I would go for a full 42U(or more) rack unless you are trying to build it into a space you have set aside for something smaller. You can always get a shelf or 2 and put desktops or other misc equipment in the rack so it is out of the way with the extra space. The deeper the better if you are going to do storage things down the road, also you can pick up some zero-U power management that mounts in the sides of the back of the rack vs sprinkling 1U PDUs in the rack itself and using up space. Doors and side panels are nice to manage airflow and keep little fingers from interacting with blinking lights and buttons.

APC, TrippLite, and AP Wright-Line all are common around here (NY/NJ/PA/DE) and all well built quality racks with the usual features. HP, IBM and Dell branded racks are fine as well I just have not seen as many of them in the past decade. I would try and get one with square holes - yes you need to use cage nuts to mount older equipment, but newer stuff from major vendors is commonly shipped with "quick" or "rapid" rails that click right into the rack and are much easier to deal with. Old-old-old racks can be lurking out there with round holes which are a real pain to work with, and pre-tapped holes which can be hit or miss depending on the quality and age of the rack.

proxima

Sep 15, 2016
Thanks for the response, I think you may have convinced me to go for a 42U. I'm in NJ and there are a few 42U that I'm seeing on craigslist.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
I went with a Penn Elcom 22U EM Series rack, 800mm deep. 800mm depth is about the minimum you want, since most rackmount chassis are quite long, and you need to leave room for wire management (unless you leave the backside off). They're a great rack for the money if you intend on purchasing new rather than used. It's really stable and has modular mounts so you can move them around to fit what you need. The locks/latches on them are actually pretty solid and don't feel cheap either.

http://www.penn-elcom.com/pdf/EM Series - Penn Elcom.pdf