pfSense with one physical lan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
I only have one physical lan port on my motherboard. I want to run pfSense with openVPN in front of all of my vms. Is this possible with only one physical ethernet port? The VMs will run from the same box.

Can I create two virtual lans and have one be linked to the WAN and the other to a virtual switch to all the VMs?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Yes - you can do that. You can create two virtual switches, with the pfSense VM having two virtual NICs one connected to each switch. One switch represents the 'WAN' and is also connected to the physical interface on the host, the other switch is the 'LAN' side and has all your VMs connected to it. The only way for traffic to get to/from any of the VMs is then through the pfSense VM.

Reactions: nickscott18

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
You can also do it with a port group with All Vlans going to pfsense, and then one virtual nic going in to pfsense. In the console, you just tell it to set up vlans first, and then you can tell it which vlan tags are WAN and LAN. This way, you can continuously add vlans to pfsense without changing anything in VCenter.

Reactions: Jeggs101

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Why do people still do this in 2015, even if for the sake of having teeny tiny router boxes?

/rant