pfSense VMXNET3 bad performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thatsysadmin

Oct 2, 2021
I'm having a problem where pfSense on ESXi 7u2 can't push more than half a gigabit through using VMXNET3 adapters inside pfSense with 4 vCPUs, but I can't get gigabit speeds. Only half.

I tried disabling Kernel PTI mitigations, disabling network card offloading, raising the queues on the VMXNET3 adapters as said on the Netgate Docs, to moving all the cores into a single vsocket. No luck. Using the emulated Intel E1000 network adapters seems to solve the problem which leads me to believe there's a bug in the VMXNET3 driver for FreeBSD 12, but I want to know what could be causing the issue.

On the same machine, using Hyper-V, I could push gigabit speeds no problem with the same configuration (4vCPUs, Hyper-V synthetic NICs).

Is anyone aware of a bug in the VMXNET3 drivers in pfSense at the moment?
Thanks!

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
How are you measuring your speeds?

Using internet based speed tests like Internet Speed Test | Fast.com I can get 1+ Gbps through my OPNsense VM.
And that's with just 2 vCPU's and VMXNET3 adapters without any special tuning

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I was using Google's speed test and Speedtest.net.
As I mentioned I have an OPNsense FW virtual machine running with 2 vCPU's, 8gb ram and VMXNET3 adapters.
This is on ESXi 6.7, on an AsrockRack X470D4U, with a Ryzen 5600X, and Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards

Speedtest.net has speeds that stay a bit more consistent
1633387669624.png

I found Google Fiber speedtest to be slow with uploads every time
1633387531216.png

thatsysadmin

Oct 2, 2021
It seems like disabling all the hardware offload gets it to full speed. Thanks for your help everyone!