pfSense swap appliances - how do I?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
Here's my situation and it's tricky.

I have a bunch of stuff on my network today, with a pfSense Atom D525 firewall. Yup, its ancient but it's been sitting in a local office building where I rented out 6U of space just as a remote lab.

I'm building a Xeon D-1518 firewall that I'm hoping will last me years. SFP+ and 10GbaseT dual port and legacy 1Gb

Here's what I've done so far -
Old appliance - has a bunch of P2P VPN configs, FreeRADIUS, DHCP servers and all that. 2x 1Gb interfaces (WAN and LAN)

New appliance - I've setup pfSense, I've configured interfaces and all that. I've even marked off which one I want to use for CARP when I go HA.

Both appliances are setup remotely now and both have 1 of the 1Gb ports connected to the WAN side

Here's why I'm asking the question - I have a lot of little VMs and containers running off DHCP.

I know you can do Backup/ Restore with pfSense but I really don't want to do that. When I tried it, I had to re-do my interfaces.

I also want to keep my DHCP leases intact. Eventually I want to move to a larger 10.x.1.1 private IP block but initially, I just want everything to work as-is. I want to keep VPN settings, RADIUS users and all that.

Is this even possible? I want all my interfaces (WAN/ LAN) to stay as-is but to convert everything else over. Is that a crazy request? Google-fu isn't helping me on this.