pfsense setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
does pfsense support wireless lan?
What is the recommended hardware for the .ac wireless?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Wifi on non-windows platforms is always iffy. It's far simpler and more compatible to use a known-good wired card like Intel and keep the closed wifi stuff separate.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I just use wifi router boxes. Disable WAN, and don't plug it in. Then disable the DHCP server on the unit. I usually give infrastructure devices like these static IPs as well, in case I have to mess with them later.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
It does, but you're much better off using a WAP. The wireless performance of pfSense is dismal, even with cards that are on the BSD HCL. Save yourself the trouble and use a device which is intended for the task.
thank you. i guess WAP will be it

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just setup a pfSense box and already had a Asus router configured as an AP. Gonna keep it that way now that I know pfsense WiFi is bad.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
good. any good WAP?
I use a Unifi AC AP Lite ... I am very happy with it and have had no issues, although some report incompatibility with certain wireless chipsets. It does require a software package to be installed as a controller for the access point, so keep that in mind. If you're looking for something that has an integrated management console for a small space, you might look into APs that are compatible with Tomato ...

AdvancedTomato :: Open Source Broadcom Firmware

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Hank C - disclaimer, I had TexMex with the pfSense/ Netgate folks last evening. We have also reviewed their WiFi products.

At home, I have a Rangeley based pfSense appliance and Ubiquiti AC APs. I think the Wireless AP guys have a better solution when you have or may want to use multiple APs.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
I also recommend Unifi AC AP (Lite).

You don't need a Controller VM, but it is quite useful.

Regards
Markus

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
i think i just need one AP...it should cover the house
I'll look into the ubi AP

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
I can up on consumer routers for WiFi. pfsense and ubiquiti AC - lite AP is working great for me.
these AP let you use poe, so you can put it anywhere you can get a cat6 cable to, and far more visually acceptable than the Tech look of most routers. I use the included t-bar mounts in the basement as well.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I havent used hyperv for pfsense before. But should be possible if the nic drivers are present.

Alternatively theres small pfsense appliance boxes that seem to be quite nice. Could be an option aswell.

Depends on how mych $ you are willing to spend

mephisto

Nov 6, 2013
London
I can up on consumer routers for WiFi. pfsense and ubiquiti AC - lite AP is working great for me.
these AP let you use poe, so you can put it anywhere you can get a cat6 cable to, and far more visually acceptable than the Tech look of most routers. I use the included t-bar mounts in the basement as well.
AP lite doesn't use standard POE, you need an voltage converter to use on conventional POE switches. the AP PRO supports normal POE, I think is a bit odd from ubiquity, but everything else with the unifi APs is perfect